Recommended page file size for 2.7 GB ram

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vistadude, Jan 29, 2011.

1. vistadude macrumors 65816

I just upgraded my macbook 6.1 to 8 GB RAM. On the windows 7 side, I'm still running the 32 bit edition, so it can only address 2.72 GB of that ram. Windows automatically increased the pagefile to about 2.8 GB. Can I cut this down to about 1 GB without causing errors or slow downs?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I know I should upgrade to the 64 bit edition of windows, but at the moment I will have to come up with a better backup strategy in order to make the transition.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't recommend messing with either, but you might be better off reducing the hibernation file first. It should also be 2.8 GB.

Search the forum for instructions. I'm on my iPad.

B

3. vistadude thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks balamw! I'll keep it on the recommended setting.

Just the other day I deleted the hibernate file. I'm running desperately close to only 2 GB free hard disk space. I had my system restore turned off, but recently bumped it up to ~1 GB space incase something goes wrong. I'm waiting to see if Hitachi or Toshiba makes a decent 640 GB or 750 GB hard disk before reintalling the OS's for 64 bit.

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

If you are running Windows 7 32bit you can patch it to enable higher memory support. I do it on my MacBook and it works fine. There is no technical limitation in the 32bit version of Windows 7, it's a licensing issue. Read up on it.

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Please, leave it alone. People need to stop treating Windows 7 as XP. The tweaks of yor do not, in any way, apply to Windows 7. It's a very smart OS and will do what's most optimal for performance without creating instability.

Besides, not using a page file can cause other issues, sometimes even unknown ones. Leave it alone. Chances are messing with it will cause more problems than anything else.