Recommended page file size for 2.7 GB ram

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vistadude, Jan 29, 2011.

1. vistadude macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2010
    I just upgraded my macbook 6.1 to 8 GB RAM. On the windows 7 side, I'm still running the 32 bit edition, so it can only address 2.72 GB of that ram. Windows automatically increased the pagefile to about 2.8 GB. Can I cut this down to about 1 GB without causing errors or slow downs?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I know I should upgrade to the 64 bit edition of windows, but at the moment I will have to come up with a better backup strategy in order to make the transition.
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I don't recommend messing with either, but you might be better off reducing the hibernation file first. It should also be 2.8 GB.

Search the forum for instructions. I'm on my iPad.

3. vistadude thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2010
    Thanks balamw! I'll keep it on the recommended setting.

Just the other day I deleted the hibernate file. I'm running desperately close to only 2 GB free hard disk space. I had my system restore turned off, but recently bumped it up to ~1 GB space incase something goes wrong. I'm waiting to see if Hitachi or Toshiba makes a decent 640 GB or 750 GB hard disk before reintalling the OS's for 64 bit.

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2008
    If you are running Windows 7 32bit you can patch it to enable higher memory support. I do it on my MacBook and it works fine. There is no technical limitation in the 32bit version of Windows 7, it's a licensing issue. Read up on it.
  5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003
    Please, leave it alone. People need to stop treating Windows 7 as XP. The tweaks of yor do not, in any way, apply to Windows 7. It's a very smart OS and will do what's most optimal for performance without creating instability.

Besides, not using a page file can cause other issues, sometimes even unknown ones. Leave it alone. Chances are messing with it will cause more problems than anything else.