Recommended place to get top case replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SR71, Jun 26, 2015.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

So about 6 months ago around New Years someone spilled alcohol all over my MacBook Air's keyboard. I didn't find out for about 5 mins after it had happened, but it was still working perfectly fine (I was playing music from Spotify on it). As soon as I knew what happened I turned it off and did all the stuff you're supposed to do when you spill something on a Mac.

Anyways, long story short everything still works as it should, but the left half of the keyboard is still pretty sticky and a few keys broke off when I attempted to clean the keys after the spill happened. I've decided that instead of paying to get the logic board and top case replaced (as the Apple Store Genius gave me the option of doing to the tune of $850+ since my MBA is out of warranty), I just want the top case replaced since the only functionality that's messed up now is the keyboard not functioning properly.

Does anyone have any recommended places where I can get just the top case fixed or should I just do it myself?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'd recommend just having at it yourself if you don't want to go through Apple. If you're inclined enough, it's better than paying someone locally.

In other words: all or nothing. Apple or DIY. Just my opinion.

3. lazydog macrumors 6502a

Hi

I don't understand why you need the logic board replaced! Anyway, if you're up for a bit of a challenge you could replace just the keyboard mechanism. Replacement keyboards are cheap (around £15 or so) on eBay. You can also get top units too but you might as well try replacing the keyboard first and then resort to a new top unit if you make a mess of it. Either way you'll have to be careful not to damage the trackpad and the logic board when you dismantle it.

Silly question... when you say the keys broke off can you not just push them back on the mechanism?

b e n