Recommended portable HDD for video editors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anthrovisual, Aug 7, 2009.

1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

I am trying to decide between getting a Seagate Freeagent Go Pro or building an OWC Mercury on the Go with the Momentus 7200.4 500GB hard drive.

I have not used either set up before and would like to hear what you all would recommend as the better option.

Right now I am leaning towards building my own as I could later switch out the drives but the 5 year warranty on the Seagate looks appetizing.

share your thoughts please!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yeah - a Firewire 800 enclosure for a 3.5" HDD and a large-volume 3.5" HDD would probably be cheaper+better performance. A 1TB 7200 RPM drive would work well; any 1 TB drive should do.

4. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

Portable HDD for video editors

From my understanding, a 3.5" drive requires an adapter, which puts a kink into the whole portability idea I am pursuing.

So yes, I am building a portable hard drive for video editing and would like to know what is the best enclosure and more importantly at the moment (since I already purchased an OWC FW800 Mercury to Go enclosure), what is the best 2.5" laptop hard drive for video editing.

My guess would be the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 since it has 500GB and 7200RPM, BUT I have heard that the speed isn't much faster than 5400 RPM HDD's for laptops.

Is this true? What is the best option for 2.5" HDDs for video editors?