Recommended Price for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by originalvector, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. originalvector macrumors member

    Aug 26, 2007
    I am considering selling my Mac Pro and moving towards a Mac Book Air for the mobility. I was doing a lot of design work last year and needed the power of the Mac Pro but this year I am doing mostly programming and writing so I would have rather a laptop.

    Mac Pro is from Summer 2006. Any one help me with what price I should try and get for it?

    2 x 2.66 GHZ Processor
    250 GB Hard-Drive
    3gb Ram
  2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Oct 31, 2006
    Which video card? What shape is it in?
  3. fluidedge macrumors 65816


    Nov 1, 2007
    wow - quad 2.66 down to duo 1.8, rather you than me!
  4. Jonny427 macrumors regular

    Oct 16, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I think you should first setup your MBA before selling off the MP.
  5. peejack macrumors 6502a

    Aug 7, 2007
    or get a MBP, thats going to be a big drop in performance.
  6. originalvector thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 26, 2007
    Ya, big performance drop. Problem is I am doing alot of programming and writing right now, so the performance isn't as crucial, its really about mobility, especially contract jobs. I have a Macbook Pro 15" right now, and it's great but it's also my employers laptop so I dont really like the idea of relying on my employer for my laptop.

    I love my macbook pro but after thinking for a while, the only real work I do is in TextMate, Safari, and occasional PhotoShop use for layouts. I am considering a Mac Book, but the mba is nice and skinny =P

    The video card is a nvidia 7300 GT and the case itself is in like new condition.
  7. ziwi macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    Then get the macbook it is better performance than the MBA and much cheaper...
  8. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

    Nov 17, 2003
    Another thing to consider is the job after this one, that could create more demands on your laptop. The MBP (maybe the new release?) could handle heavier work for a while, esp with an external monitor and maxed out ram, while the MBA might drive you crazy.
  9. 9Charms macrumors regular


    May 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    No one has actually answered the Thread Starter's questions yet....
  10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Oct 31, 2006
    They still have not provided some additional info as asked for.
  11. originalvector thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 26, 2007
    The video card is a nvidia 7300 GT and the case itself is in like new condition.
  12. podvisual macrumors newbie

    Jul 23, 2007
    Trade In

    I traded my Mac Pro 2.0 with 1 gb ram, 250 gb HD, and 7300 stock video card. I used a place in oregon and they quoted me $1500 (upping the ram to 2gb didn't add to the trade in value at all).

    So that was 700 below what I purchased it for. maybe a good starting point for you.
  13. originalvector thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 26, 2007
    This is a good point. My current MBP has served me extremley well for my daily photoshop, illustrator and ruby on rails development. Going down to the MBA, I would just be losing some processor speed and hard-drive speed. The processor speed doesn't concern too much because I am mostly just writing code or papers for school, however, the hard-drive speed could become a factor.

    The Mac Book seems like a good alternative because it gets me close to the size I am looking for, without sacrificing much at all. There is a part of me that just wants to be able to say I have a MBA haha.

    I think its down to the MBA and the Mac Book. I love my current (although my employers) Mac Book Pro to death....but I wouldnt mind having something a little bit smaller like the mba and the mac book.

    Oh why can't they have the MBP 12".....
  14. PodPacker macrumors regular


    Oct 23, 2006

    Try that. It's a good jumping point, if you have added "extras" you can tack on fair market price for those and you're done.
  15. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

    Jul 15, 2004
    I'll throw out the first price, and say you could sell it for around $2100. A new 2 x 2.8 Quad is $2799. Yours is used and slower than a 2 x 2.8 Quad.
  16. Roy macrumors 6502


    Jul 6, 2006

    But for 199 bucks more you can get a factory fresh 2.8 Four Core, with new warranty and all, that tests show outperforms the 2.66 which is already 18 months old, along with the technology of Summer 2006.

    I think you will have to go under the $2000 mark, but not should not have to go under the $1500 mark. Just my thoughts, but who knows.....
  17. surflordca macrumors 6502a


    Nov 16, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am not making an offer but if I was to buy this I would pay some where between $1400 and $1700 Old tech stuff is hard to sell for big bucks. This is pushing 2 years old. OK $1500... Good luck with your decision.
  18. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

    Jan 8, 2008
    Good luck with the sale, I'd get an air too, can't hook up a 30" though. :(

Share This Page