Recommended products to protect the new MBP 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Apr 16, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. Just ordered the new MBP 2010 17". I heard that Moshi's palm guard is good for protecting the palm area. How about the trackpad as well as the top and bottom of the computer. For the top and bottom parts, I prefer somekind of thin film to hard case. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. maximus06 macrumors regular

Honestly, I find the whole concept of "protecting" a MB absurd. The aluminum unibody is the sturdiest enclosure on the market and doesn't take easily to scratches and the like. My 2008 MB Unibody looks as if I just bought it yesterday and I lug it around almost everyday (using a simple sleeve, mind you).

Part of the appeal of these machines is the sleekness and the gorgeous finish. I'd never want to wrap that in plastic or cover it with gel mats.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I have not used an unibody MBP before. As for the SR MBP 2007, there were problems with the palm rest area due to sweat.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well for sleeves, there is this thread.
    For hardshell cases, there is this thread.
    I'm a big fan of keyboard covers. Moshii makes one, but I prefer iSkin.

5. kayloh20 macrumors regular

Your MacBook Pro will look ugly after all that.

To be honest, I really want to protect my MacBook Pro (because my older unibody one has scratches and abrasions on it), but I also like the current look of the MacBook Pro without all the stuff stuck to it.

If you treat it carefully, then you should only really need a sleeve (I use the incase one). Only reason why I've got damage on my old one is because I treat it like I treat my school papers...not so well.

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks thegoldenmackid for pointing out the iSkin ProTouch Keyboard Protector. It looks cool! I hope that it does not deform due to heat air coming out from the gaps around the keys. Do you have good recommendation on clear film for the top and bottom of the MBP?

kayloh20: I got transparent films to protect the top and bottom as well as the palm rest of my SR MBP 2007. Those films are transparent. So, the MBP does not look ugly. In fact, it look prettier because the films are a bit shinny. I am trying to find similar product for the unibody design. I applied those films the day I got the laptop. It is almost 3 years old and still look as if it were new. On the other hand, there seems to be small scratches and paint smearing on one key. Not sure what happened.

7. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

I agree.

However, I have some useful tips!

1.) Be mindful when slipping your new MBP in and out of a Laptop Bag, Messenger Bag, or Backpack. I would think, that's where a large number of scratches occur.
    2.) Spray your MBP with Pet Pee-Be-Gone, to keep cats claws safely away from it. It can be found in most pet stores. ;)

8. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

first thing i would get is a keyboard protector. i bought the moshi one, which is very thin, clear, and comfortable to type on. the black keys are prone to oil from your finger prints the longer you use it, so protecting the keys is important.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the hint. Do the black keys get discolored? If I use iKlear to clean the keys regularly, is it still advisable to get a keyboard protector?

On my 2007 SR MBP, the keys are in silver color. It has been almost 3 years. I don't have problems with the keyboard except a key (somehow the black paint on the key seems to have spreaded on the key for no reason). I just use iKlear regularly to clean the laptop. So, the keys of the unibody models are more prone to oil?

10. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

11. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Looking for keyboard skin protector in the UK

13inch macbook pro 2010

any online stores selling ?

12. Hobbit macrumors member

I can't agree more with you.

Just enjoy your MBP as it is. Not a big deal if it gets scratched.

13. acurafan macrumors 6502a

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Good story, but my last two Macs ended up with terrible pitting. The current 2007 MBP I'm using has lost all the anodized finish on both sides of the palmrest. Apple says its my own sweat causing this, I don't know...they won't replace the case regardless.

Get a Marware or Moshi palmrest cover. There are a couple of different skins you can get to cover the outside. I have a Spec on my 2006 MBP but I really don't like it....you can easily get crud inside of that case and that can actually end up scratching it worse.

15. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Good idea. From reviews, it seems that the cases from Incase do not have the problem of letting the crud inside to scratch the MBPs. However, taking the cases out may.