Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
Hi, all. I'm looking for suggestions for a decent speed higher capacity SD card for my new Retina Macbook Pro. I figure I would dump some movies and such onto the card and use it for that sort of storage when I'm out of town. Ideally I'd like to get something of at least 32, maybe 64 gigs. Any suggestions?

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Hi, all. I'm looking for suggestions for a decent speed higher capacity SD card for my new Retina Macbook Pro. I figure I would dump some movies and such onto the card and use it for that sort of storage when I'm out of town. Ideally I'd like to get something of at least 32, maybe 64 gigs. Any suggestions?

Get a SD card with decent higher capacity and transfer speed. Brands will cost more. Up to you if that is important.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
I could go and read a couple of hundred reviews on various makes and models. What I was looking for was reviews from people who have SD slots on Macbook Pros and have tested SD cards for storage. I was hoping someone would have had such an experience with the range of capacities I mentioned, and would have some advice. Reading Newegg does not automatically mean the users used a Macbook Pro. Thus my post

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
Class 10 SDHC's are the fastest for read and write speeds however 2 class 10 SDHC's can vary quite a bit but they should have a minimum read/write speed of 10mb/sec.

Sandisk do their own extreme range which go higher and SDXC cards are even faster for read/write speeds.

Easy choice to make really go for the fastest with the highest capacity which you can afford.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I could go and read a couple of hundred reviews on various makes and models. What I was looking for was reviews from people who have SD slots on Macbook Pros and have tested SD cards for storage. I was hoping someone would have had such an experience with the range of capacities I mentioned, and would have some advice. Reading Newegg does not automatically mean the users used a Macbook Pro. Thus my post

You could? You should read the reviews and use the search function in this forum. Performance of a SD card will be as expected based on specs of the card. No huge variance if at all from PC or OS X.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Most SD cards have such crappy write speeds that after a while I can't tell the difference between those rated higher.

i.e... they're all painfully slow to me so I'd just go for capacity and value.

junoop

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
I'm trying a Sandisk card

I wanted to offload some misc files from the ssd in the mbp retina to an sd card to see how well it would work and reduce SSD use. I picked up a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB (95MB/s max, class 10, $80) and so far it has been decent for Downloads/Temp Files, code/repos, and some cache/preferences. I would not try any card below 95MB/s rated if you want to stream; even that may not be enough. I went with the Extreme Pro after many reviews showed it gave excellent performance for an OK price. I expect the later gen cards to come down in price and move closer to achieving disposable ssd speeds.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.