Recommended second display for Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by riceforlife, Nov 4, 2014.

1. riceforlife macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Can folks recommend a second display for the Retina iMac? I'll be using for programming, word processing, and illustration. I'd prefer to have a display roughly the same size (27" or so). It won't be the primary display, but used as an ancillary display for keeping open references, programming notes, etc).

In particular, do people recommend a 4K display? (Do they run @ 60Hz?) Or, am I better off just getting a 2560X1440 display. If the latter, is there a consensus on a budget alternative to the TBD? (I won't need the built-in speakers or iSight, since it'll be built into the iMac.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I would recommend not bothering with a low-resolution display. 4k would probably be the minimum. I did have my 30" 2560x1600 display connected, but I really didn't want to use it as the resolution was so disappointing compared with the iMac. So that's gone up for sale...

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Displayport 1.2 supports 4K at 60Hz, so that should be fine. I would not recommend getting anything less than 4K because you will notice the difference. Like my rMBP did for me, the Retina iMac will up your display comfort zone ;)

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I hooked up a Sharp PN-K322B multitouch 4K monitor to my retina iMac and it's gorgeous.

5. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

I have a Thunderbolt Display and a 27" Cinema Display hooked up to mine and they work great.