Recommended Settings for Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by soapage, May 15, 2010.

1. soapage macrumors member

I am currently running windows settings on parallels... i have 8gigs ram and the new i7. what settigns should i put for the ram i want parallels to use and how many cores should put....it says 1-4 :S

2. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I have the new i5 and was wondering the same thing ..... but be careful. When I added more cores, Windows saw it as a new computer and gave me "you have to authorize Windows" message, so I just reverted back to the last snapshot so I didn't have to deal with it.

3. soapage thread starter macrumors member

Parallels: What is the ideal ram and processor alocation

I am currently running parallels on my new 15" i7. I have 8 gigs of ram. How many cores should i be allocating to parallesl... it says 1-4?? what about ram? i have 8 gigs and dont know if I should split it half and half.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

What are you running in your virtual machine? Windows7? XP? 32-bit or 64-bit?

If Win7 32 bit, 2 cores and 4GB RAM will allow it to fly...I don't think 32-bit will recognize more than 4GB RAM.

5. soapage thread starter macrumors member

I am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'd still start out with 2 cores and 4GB RAM and see how you like the performance. You can always easily adjust those settings later.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've found that more RAM isn't necessarily better, when it comes to virtual machines. Allocating 1GB RAM to your VMs when you only have 2GB total isn't such a great idea. However... after I upgraded to 4GB and left my VM RAM allocation alone, the VMs flew.

8. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

This brings up a point that I was asking about in another thread. When I tried to "fine tune" my windows XP with changing the amount of cores on my new i5, I got the "you have to authorize this version of windows", etc. I guess that windows interpreted the change in cores as running it on a new machine, so I just went back to the last snapshot before I made the change and everything was fine again.

How are you guys changing these settings in Parallels and getting around this ...... or am I the only one having this problem??