Recommended shielded speakers for MBP and iPhone coexistence?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majordude, Oct 13, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have a MBP and an iPhone... yes, I am an fanboy... :rolleyes:

Can you recommend a good set of speakers ($100 to $300) that sounds good for music (Apple lossless in iTunes) and plays nice with my iPhone 3G? (I don't want that nasty AT&T buzz.)

My MBP just has an earphone plug so a 5.1 speaker system isn't an advantage (unless there is a USB option I don't know about).

Thanks! :D

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You just need speakers, or do you also need an amp?

(If you don't know, you almost certainly need an amp)

The AT&T buzz (actually, all GSM phones do it) is hard do get rid off. I just did a little Googling to find out what causes it. Apparently, it is caused by the transmitter pulsing on and off, which happens at 200something Hz for GSM phones. Honestly, I think the best you can hope for it use a well-shielded cable between the amp and the MBP, and hope for the best.

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Well, I have some old Bose speakers that sound better than most speakers available at the time but they are flat and buzz with my phone. They are plenty loud enough (I keep my hearing aid on 11) so I doubt I need an amp.

I was in Circuit City the other day and it cracked me up. I walked past the speaker section and my iPhone set the damn things off!

HAHAHAHAHA!

4. azharc macrumors member

Harman Kardon Soundsticks II. They aren't top of the line audiophile but sound really good, the subwoofer is excellent and punchy, and the treble leaves a bit of depth to be desired but is still really good.

0 iPhone 3G interference (I have the speakers, I have the iPhone, I just tested by refreshing mail right near the satellites - nothing). Well worth the money and excellent design.

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Wow, thanks. Those sound pretty good to me and they are around $100 at WalMart.com of all places.

6. Jatku macrumors member

On my Logitech speakers, I only hear the buzz when the phone is facing the volume control thing. I'm not sure what to call it, but it's separate from the sub woofer and the 4 speakers. As long as that piece is shielded or hidden, nothing else buzzes for me.

7. azharc macrumors member

Welcome. To make sure it's the right choice for you, read the reviews on Amazon and Apple Store. Think it's one of the highest rated speakers at Apple.