Recommended Shutter Release Cable?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheBeastman13, Apr 30, 2014.

1. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

Hi, All

I'm a college art student who just got into photography last fall. I'm looking to practice night-time/astrological exposures, but holding the shutter down for ~two minutes disrupts the clarity and makes for subtle blurring.

I'm using a Nikon D7100. From empirical knowledge, can anyone recommend a reliable and durable shutter release so I can get to practicing?

Thanks,

B.

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

4. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

A cheap shutter release that is released under many brand names and sold on fleabay will do all you could want and more. For under $20, it's ridiculously cheap and I have never had any issues with mine, whether using it as a standard release, for long exposures, with a delayed start or as an intervalometer for star trails.

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Oooh, an intervalometer looks interesting.

I've got the same 'Nikon but not really Nikon' remote unit as fanboy. Haven't used it a great deal (with a D7000 rather than D7100) but it's not let me down.

6. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

I have both wireless and cable remotes (Nikon mentioned above) but prefer the positive/certain operation of the cable remote. The wireless IR can miss if you're not carefull.

Also, I don't believe you can burst shoot with the wireless - at least you can't on a D600.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have one of these nifty devices for my Canon. Can't be beat for long exposures or interval shots. Expensive but worth it.

Wireless Remote at B&H

Dale

9. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Just a remminder TheBeastman13...when doing long exposures, don't forget to cover the viewfinder eyepiece. Ambient light can and will leak through.

I've forgotten a couple times, returned home and found the lower third of the image completely mucked-up.