Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwikker

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Hey guys,

So I'm thinkin about my late 2011 15" MBP's 4gb ram to 8gb or 16gm of ram and it's HDD to 256SSD.

Can anybody tell me which brand to go with? There are so many of them out there and I wanna make sure I get the one that won't give me any headache and will fit into my mac.

That being said, It would be awesome if somebody can give me a guide on how to place those specs into my mac.

This is what mac's specs

2.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
Originally released October 2011
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

As for what brand, Crucial and Corsair are reputable brands for RAM, and OCZ, Intel and Samsung are reputable brands for SSDs.

I myself have a Vertex 3 in my 2009 MBP and 8 GB RAM from some no-name brand.

Zwikker

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Morgantown, WV
And this is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks Sir, Appreciate it!

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

As for what brand, Crucial and Corsair are reputable brands for RAM, and OCZ, Intel and Samsung are reputable brands for SSDs.

I myself have a Vertex 3 in my 2009 MBP and 8 GB RAM from some no-name brand.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
The Crucial m4 is also a nice SSD that rates rather well, as a bonus they've gotten pretty cheap on Amazon.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Hey guys,

So I'm thinkin about my late 2011 15" MBP's 4gb ram to 8gb or 16gm of ram and it's HDD to 256SSD.

Can anybody tell me which brand to go with? There are so many of them out there and I wanna make sure I get the one that won't give me any headache and will fit into my mac.

That being said, It would be awesome if somebody can give me a guide on how to place those specs into my mac.

This is what mac's specs

2.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
Originally released October 2011
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Thanks!

I got the same model MBP and have just put the 512GB M4 SSD inside with the 8GB memory they do too. OMG its on the quick side :)

Go here http://www.crucial.com/ and you will see you can list by model or they can scan your system and tell you whats compatible :)

Enjoy

Zwikker

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Morgantown, WV
So I'm about to purchase 8gb ram on amazon. Do I have to go like 2x4 or is that possible to go with 1x8 so I can have 10gb of ram in total? Or there's no such a thing like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.