Recommended Stand for 6 Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by prestong, Aug 20, 2014.

1. prestong macrumors member

I have a imac 27" and two thunderbolt displays. I want to run 3 more 27" displays over top my existing 3 monitors, and use synergy to control the second computer. Does anyone know of a good stand that will fit this 6 monitor configuration? Most of them don't seem big enough to allow the 27" monitors. I bought 3 27" monitors from mono price and just ordered 3 VESA adapters.

So which stand have you used that you know will fit the monitors?

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Sorry, cannot help - but please promise to pop up some pics when you're done, over in the Mac-setup/past&present photo thread!

Sounds awesome, and I'm sure others would also love to see it!

3. prestong thread starter macrumors member

Will do, have the monitors sitting here with no clear plan to mount them :) I hope I don't have to weld my own stands.

4. prestong thread starter macrumors member

Looks like their stuff is call custom and it even takes a while just to get a price quote, if I wanted to wait forever I'd just create on myself :) But thanks for the link. Was hoping someone had an off the shelf solution that works. I found one and ordered it, but I don't know if its really going to work as well as I hope..

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

6. prestong thread starter macrumors member

Says 28" but when you read reviews and comments, it says otherwise.. :)

For example here is one of the links you pasted...........

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
    Technically, it does not support up to 6 28 inch screens
    By Eliyah Shin on May 11, 2014
    Verified Purchase
    For the price, I guess you really can't complain. But the unit does not really support six screens that are 28 inch each. Heck, it can't even support 27 inch monitors. When I see support, I expect all six screens to perfectly line up and balanced. Given the structural design, the two center monitors will always line up without any problem. The issue lies with the four side monitors - all four will always "sag" downward and you'll end up with two center monitors always being in a higher position than the four side monitors. If you're using each of six monitors separately for stock price monitoring or other multitasking purposes, then perhaps this may be sufficient. But if you play to play games or watch movies, forget it because the pictures will look all distorted even with bezel corrections. You can alleviate the "sagging" issue by propping up the side monitors from the base, but that pretty defeats the whole purpose of owning one of these monitor stands.

Thats why i really wanted someone who owns one, who knows it will work..

7. prestong thread starter macrumors member

Well I found a solution and set it up today. I went back and forth between buy a mac pro to drive all the monitors or building a PC to drive them all. After reading about some complaints about the mac pro multi monitor support, and after looking at benchmarks I decided on the following setup. This is giving me the best of both worlds, with the power when I need it.

Monitor stand from here, not bad for $168.95
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/171413460269?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

6 27" Displays, from mono price, had 10% off coupon + I get volume pricing..
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

Mac Mini i7 16gb ram w/ SSD w/ 2 thunderbolt displays + USB3 to HDMI adapter.

PC was DUAL GTX 780 Video Cards
    i7-4930k 6 Core CPU
    32GB Ram
    Raided SSD

-----

I combine both machines using Synergy. This allows me to use one keyboard and mouse for both, and use them like one continuous display. I have to say I am very satisfied with the final results. Its been a while since I ever touched a PC, but the combination has left me pretty happy. Considering I can now play games at around 6x the frame rate of the mac pro, I have faster benchmarks in general, but I still can easily run my mac apps, it was a good compromise.

On a side note, the picture on these monoprice monitors are almost identical to the thunderbolt displays. Less then half the cost..

Attached Files:

8. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Sweet mother.