Recommended stats for Logic Pro X

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Ryanwoloshen, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Ryanwoloshen macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am new to music production and want to start working on it. I want to use Logic Pro X and obviously need a computer. I'm looking at getting a 27 inch iMac or maybe a MacBook Pro. Either way I will most certainly install an SSD, so that's not so much of a concern. My question is, how much ram and which processor and graphics card (if the latter makes any difference in the performance of Logic) should I be looking at. I am aware that there will probably be a processor upgrade soon in the iMac, which I will probably wait for, and I am also a student, so I get a discount. I have heard people recommend 16 GB of ram and an i7 processor. I happen to think this is overkill as I know people run Logic Pro X on MacBook Airs, but I want the opinion of others out there. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
    Ryan

2. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

The biggest difference between the i5 and i7 CPU is that the i7 has virtual cores besides the four physical cores. Does Logic Pro X uses those virtual cores efficiently for tasks like rendering to audio? I'm not sure as I don't use Logic Pro X but someone probably does know.

I would go with the 3TB Fusion drive myself because of all that storage but the SSD drives are very fast.

You can always set up a midi/audio LAN using Vienna Ensemble Pro and another PC down the road if more power is needed but it's probably best to buy as much computer as you can afford.

3. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I wouldn't say the RAM and processor are overkill (especially for modern pop production). Logic will probably run on a MacBook Air, but it all depends on what you're looking to do. If you're just mixing a few tracks with basic plugins, a MBA will handle that just fine. If you're looking to arrange a full track with plugins like Omnisphere, Komplete, etc., you'll definitely want the RAM and CPU.

So the real question here is...what are you planning on doing in terms of music production?

4. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Im going jump in here since its related.

Im using an old 2009 mac mini as my music production computer, and it runs garage band just fine. However, with logic I've notice there is a slight delay in things, for example when changing sounds - it takes a few seconds to "load" the sound.

Ive got 4 GB ram on it. Would it help to upgrade to 8GB? Would more ram help with the overall snappiness of Logic with my old computer?

5. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Are you running Logic in 32-bit or 64-bit? If it's 32-bit, it wouldn't be able to address more than 4 GB of RAM, so upgrading to 8 GB would have no effect on Logic's performance. With that said, RAM is most important when it comes to loading sample libraries. What kind of music production do you do?