Recommended Windows version on Macbook Pro mid 2012 (non-retina)?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MarvinHC, May 12, 2014.

1. MarvinHC, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014

MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have some months ago come from the windows side to Mac. Still learning but enjoying it more and more. However for some things I would still need Windows (for example my e-banking does not support OS X). Nothing more demanding than internet and maybe MS Office.

My question:
    - Which Windows version would your recommend ( 7 / 8 / 8.1 32 or 64bit?)?
    - Is Bootcamp the best (easy/stable/quick) way of going forward or rather VM etc?

Many thanks for all hints.

My setup: Macbook Pro (classic - MD101, mid 2012) 13" with i5 and 4 GB RAM, Mavericks

Oh, one more question: Is it possible to share data (pictures, music etc.) between both operating systems, for example on a separate partition or are they both completely separated (for security reasons?)?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I think in your case your would be better off with Fusion or Paraelles if you run an SSD on your Mac. This way you can share directly between OS X and the version of Windows you want to use. Beside with a VM you could run windows programs while still in OS X and only see the program running.

IMHO BootCamp is more practical with massive hard drives then with small SSDs.

3. MarvinHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I do not have a SSD in (yet) but the original 500 GB HDD. Data sharing could be interesting but I wonder if this would not also make the OS X vulnerable to Windows viruses etc.? But key question is: does it matter which Windows version, is one more stable than the other on a Mac?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

No. A Windows virus will only affect Windows System/Programs.

Well to me there is a backlash in the Windows world between 7 and 8. Really depends on what you are doing with Windows. If you are looking to play games then go with BootCamp. If you are using it for school/work and no games then IMHO go with a VM.

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Definitely get the 64 bit version of Windows - the 32 bit one is not supported in boot camp. Windows 7 and 8 is a personal preference although I, by far, favour 8 despite having some installation problems which I solved by installing manually.

Boot camp is similar to having Windows installed on a Windows computer but with all the necessary drivers ta function with the Apple hardware. A VM, no matter which OS, is still just virtual.