Recommened add-ons for macbooks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arcane86, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Arcane86 macrumors newbie

Hey all, ive posted a few times already. and im thinking i should just get everybodys opinion on some programs that could help some one from switching from a pc to a mac.

i own a black macbook, and ive gotten used to the os setup pretty quick. its been wicked since i got my usb mouse :)

but yea im looking for applications to help me with system cleaning, removal of programs i dont want or i just found out when it was installed was a trial (i dont have a credit card so no point in trying a trial i can only use for limited amount of time).

what i have so far (feedback is awsome)
    -burn
    -igetter
    -transmission
    -appdelete
    -iceclean (not sure how it works yet tho)
    -firefox

i was also told to get "quicksilver" by one of my teachers. but he didnt have anytime to go through and explain how to use and set it up. and i dont have his class again till monday

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Quicksilver is cool, but it has a learning curve, so get used to your Mac a little before trying it out. It's really powerful, but not for everyone.

Adium is a great chat app if you've got people spread over numerous chat services. It'll combine MSN, Yahoo, AIM, .Mac, Gtalk, etc.

Since you have a laptop, you might try iStumbler to help you locate wireless connections.

As far as deleting apps, I just drag them to the trash and do a Spotlight search to find any preference files (small) or folder in the User/Library/Application Support folder. A lot of people love Appzapper, though.

3. Arcane86 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i got a think called "wiFind" that ive been working. been pretty neat. tells me the % and if its locked or not lol

4. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Good luck trying to uninstall wiFind. Its a hassle.

I wish AppZapper would get rid of EVERYTHING and not just the stuff in Applications/ and Library/.

There is so much extra crap that it leaves behind. :(

5. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

As a recent switcher, here are a few apps I have found useful.

Toast Titanium is a really good burning program, much better than the inbuilt burner in my opinion. No nonsense burning and can get really technical if you want to start burning multi-format CDs. Easy to use because the interface is similar to Nero on the PC.

If you use FTP servers, try Cyberduck - a quick and easy to use FTP client. Good OSX integration, has its own widget and just works really well for syncing data and uploading/downloading to remote FTP servers.

6. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I would recommend:

Main Menu
    CoconutBattery
    and
    Jiggler

All free, all good. :)

Instead of AppZapper I would highly recommend Hazel as it helps with application clean up as well as being very useful in organsing your files. It's not free but it is very good value for money.