reconditioned mbp from apple arrived today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nychot, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

they told me it would have snow leopard on it which i wanted, but it has lion which i didn't want because my ms office 2004 won't run on it. the mbp is really nice and fast and the keyboard is great. but now i have to figure out how to get word which i desperately need to work with and transfer my word doc. files over so i can work on the mbp along with my mac mini that is has snow leopard. apple store phone sales guy SWORE it would ship with snow leopard NOT lion. i am SO pissed!!!!!!:(

2. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Can't Pages (part of iwork) convert/read .doc files?
    mebbe that is N option

3. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

i don't want to use pages, and i could care less about pages. but thanks for the advice.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Office 2004 is both outdated and stupidly slow. I strongly suggest you buy office 2011.

Lion removed all PowerPC support from the OS, so anything that required Rosetta will no longer work.

Alternatively you could try and ring Apple to get a recovery DVD from the early 2011 MBP which originally shipped with Snow Leopard, and you'll probably be able to wipe the drive and install SL from that.

5. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

OpenOffice is another option if upgrading to Office 2011 isn't practical.

But definitely give Apple a call and see if you can't scare the SL DVD out of them.

Me, I -HATED- Lion at first. I was ready to switch back, but a few more days with it and I started getting used to it. Now I mostly like it.

Rob

6. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

You could not care less about Pages. If you could care less, that means you still have a lot of care left for it. ;)

7. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

since posting this i found a dent in the case, can only be seen in a certain light but its about thumb size on the lid on the upper left near the edge. i called apple and they are sending me a new one. i actually do have a copy of snow leopard but i'm a bit nervous about reverting back from lion without causing problems for myself. i'll get word 11.

8. derickdub macrumors 6502

Why don't you just install Snow Leopard on another partition? I'm not really sure if there are any limits on a MBP that has Lion preinstalled, but I know there is no problem running both on other MBPs.

9. SkaarjHunter macrumors newbie

Actually, I just purchased a refurbished Macbook Pro from the Apple Store that came with Snow Leopard. I would call them up and return it or see if they can send you discs or something, because that's false advertising.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Call Apple; you should have no trouble with getting the restore DVDs since OS 10.6 was an advertised feature.