Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Well I just bought a cheap Oncore battery off ebay for my Powerbook(I wanted extra juice for the long flight in a few days).

This battery has a low loadcycle count but states that the battery capacity was 50%. I've been reconditioning the battery and have gone through 2 complete run-downs and charge ups and now states that it's at 55%. I let it die then goes to sleep and I've left it sit that way for 6+ hours each time to try to fully drain it.

Anyone ever use the Oncore non-OEM batteries? How are they supposed to be compared to Apples OEM batteries? My OEM battery has twice the loadcycles but I can still manage twice the life out of it.

Currently I can get at least 2 hours on this battery so I'm trying to see if I can get it up to 4 hours. Up from about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 from when I first got it.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Got the battery to 66% capacity. Anyone knows/have reconditioned their battery to 100% again? Or am I at about the max capacity?

I've put a total of 4 charge cycles and already increased it a total 16%.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I'm curious - what are you doing to recondition the battery? Just letting it run dry, then recharging, and repeat? My battery is in rough shape - if I can coax some more life out of it, then I'll be trying this.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I'm curious - what are you doing to recondition the battery? Just letting it run dry, then recharging, and repeat? My battery is in rough shape - if I can coax some more life out of it, then I'll be trying this.

Yes. I also try to let it sit when it dies(sleeps) for a few hours just to drain it as much as possible. I've tried doing this to iBooks before and have let the thing sleep for 16+ hours before on a fully drained battery before and it was still sleeping. I don't have the time to let it sit that long so I just do a PRAM reset three times too before I charge it back up fully.

I can see that the previous owner didn't take care of this battery because like I mentioned before, it had a low cycle count(1/3rd of it's typical lifespan before it should start degrading) and it's capacity was at 50%, now I got it up to 66% but I don't know how much I'll get it back up to tho so I'm trying to find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.