Reconfigure a used Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by donmash, Dec 27, 2008.

1. donmash macrumors newbie

I just bought a used macbook from the original user. I have changed all the sign in authorities to the new user.

However when in the finder there is the house icon, and it still has the old users name. When I go to get info, it is grey and can't be changed. I know there has to be a simple way to change this but I just can't figure it out.

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Why not just delete that user and make a new user for the new owner. Personally, I would have done a fresh install and avoid such hassles.

This link may help:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

3. donmash thread starter macrumors newbie

That link is for 10.3.9 and earlier. I have 10.5.5 installed.

The computer was used, but only for a week, and only used the Itunes. What process are you speaking about when you talk about doing a fresh install?

4. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Do you have the Leopard install DVD? I'd recommend just formatting your hard drive and reinstalling the operating system. If that's not an option, have you tried making a new user and deleting the old one?

5. donmash thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the proper process to back up what ever has been added before I format???

I do have the Leopard DVD's so I can format it.

6. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ages.html

I haven't done in a long time so I'm basing my reply off this website. Have the Leopard DVD in your drive, and hold C while the computer boots to go into the installer.