Reconnect network volumes on reboot?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by flyrod, Oct 14, 2015.

1. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

I was wondering if any of the 10.4/10.5 gurus here know if/how I can get a mac to reconnect to shared network drives when it boots up. Right now I have to manually connect them each time using something like command-K. At least it remembers the passwords.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. Open :apple: --> System Preferences --> Accounts. Select your user name and drag the mounted network volume to the list of log in items.

3. eyoungren, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Altemose is correct.

Just keep in mind that if ever one of your network shares is not available after logging back in, Finder may stall while it's busy looking for a share that isn't there.

For this reason I have a certain boot sequence of PCs/Macs at work whenever the power goes out.

4. flyrod thread starter macrumors 6502

flyrod

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

This is a good point. My Xserve doesn't run all the time(it's too much of a power hog and puts out too much heat) so I manually mount volumes as needed from it so that finder doesn't get bend out of shape looking for them.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, the absolute worst is the sidebar. Add a shortcut to a server in there and when you log back in and the server is missing you are going to be in for a hell of a wait for the desktop to load until Finder figures it out.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I wonder if coding an AppleScript with enough of a delay would resolve the issue as it would look for the server after the Finder is fully loaded.

8. yassi macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have an Automator workflow with a 3 second delay at the beginnning.
    I mount about 10 shares and they do not open a finder window.

Best,
    yassi

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I tend to use Finder Window Manager. After manually loading my shares from stored shortcuts I close all windows. Finder Window Manager then restores all the windows I most use from a set that I've saved. Since that app is essentially a commercial applescript it also honors the window sizes that I forced down past the minimum using a different applescript.

[​IMG]

Restoring all these windows by hand in the exact same places EVERY time is a real PITA. Which is why I use this app. :D

Finder 2.png Finder 3.png Finder.png