Record a phone call?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Soundhound, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

Are there any good gadgets for doing this? Specifically one that would tap into the line and get it directly into the mac - then use garageband or whatever to edit etc?

thanks!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if i remember right, it is illegal to record converstions without letting the other party know you are recording it

just some food for thought. someone please correct me if im wrong

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

No, it is illegal unless you tell them, and they won't let you anyway.

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Actually, this depends greatly per state. Many states say that its legal to record a phone call if one of the parties involved are aware of it. Basically, if you are the one doing it its legal.

Some states require that all parties on the call are aware of the recording. They sometimes take it even further by saying there must be a beep every 15 seconds that recording is taking place.

Its also legal in just about every state to record a phone call that contains threats against life and limb.

Check your local and state laws, they greatly vary.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

back to the op's question though assuming its legal and all is to use skype and then a program like wiretap pro to record the sound from computer

other than that you could always use like a taperecorder and speakerphone

6. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice, but the person I'll be recording is aware of it and gives his approval. It's for an interview. The post wasn't meant to ask that question.

I just want to know if there's a good way to do it without having to change services to Skype or something like that.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

There are small portable flash based recorders that come with an earbud microphone. They can be bought at most electronics stores for around $30.

The earbud goes into your ear and you hold the phone to that ear. The mic records everything said at both ends. It works quite well.

The recorder connects to the computer via USB to download the contents.

My father just got through divorcing my crazy stepmother, and became quite adept in the use of this device. :D

8. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

There ya go!

Is there anything that can actually tap into the line more directly perhaps?

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Your local Radio Shack store should able to sell you the equipment to record from an analog telephone line. It won't be great quality, but the recordings will be understandable. You can buy more professional solutions but they would cost more, etc.

Recording off Skype is much easier, and will result in a cleaner recording, with less hum, noise, etc. unless you invest in pro equipment. You can buy Skype calls by the minute, in $10 increments (I believe), rather than going with a yearly plan, etc.

10. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll head over there and see what they have.

Looking into Skype too, that seems an interesting thing as well now that I think about it.

Thanks y'all..

11. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Ovolab's Phlink can do what you describe (and a lot more besides).

I have one, quite happy with it.