Record cassettes to Mac HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rebel1970, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Rebel1970 macrumors newbie

What is the easiest way to copy cassettes to my hard drive so I can either record different cassettes, or CD's?

2. Adz76 macrumors member

I did this when I bought my first Mac, an e Mac about 10 years ago. You need a separate cassette deck, like you would find in an old hi fi system. It MUST have output on the rear to send the audio to your Mac. I used a cable that was two phonos ( for the rear of the tape deck ) which are red and white going in to a 3.5mm jack, like a headphone plug. Connect that to your line in on your Mac ( not your headphone port) as the line in takes audio in, the headphone jack doesn't. Then I used Peak to record the tapes and edit. I know that Garage band will also work, I messed around with it for a while but I'm more used to Peak. I know Peak has full editing options and I would guess Garage Band would probs have less options but you should be ok, if not you might need to buy some audio editing software like Peak ( not cheap ) .
    Takes a bit of experimenting with to set up, that's the only difficult bit but once you're up and running, its very straight forward.

3. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

An update from wire spool. You should try one. :)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

My wife still has a cassette player in the kitchen - she uses it to play music while she washes dishes after I do the cooking. Her car is old enough to have a cassette player as well.

6. pilkenton macrumors member

pilkenton

They should make Macs that have a cassette slot built in. For that matter a slot for 8 tracks and VHS tapes too:D

I think it would probably be cheaper and a lot less of a hassle to replace the cassettes with CDs.

7. Bear macrumors G3

That only works when such a CD (or downloads) are available.

Come to think of it, I have CDs that are no longer available and are not available for download.