Record church to cd and podcast

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by maybury, Mar 10, 2008.

1. maybury macrumors newbie

I'm trying to finalise spec for recording church service.
    spec for us:
    compact, portable, easy/quick settup, operatable by novice computer folks
    output to :
    a) audio cd in tracks during final worship and clearup 10 Cd's in 30 mins
    b) podcast with graphics from the sermon powerpoint. quickly afterwards,

suggested kit : small mixing desk, mac mini, standalone CD copier.

from web searching recommendation seems to be garage band for podcast and garage band or audacity for record, quite a few seem to do a lot of transferring and post editing, record to CD, upload, edit podcast, which I need to avoid,
    also I think audacity and garageband are too complex for the sun morning record people.

possibility 'recordpad' and 'expressburn'
    see http://www.nch.com.au/software/soundrec.html
    for recordpad, mac download (text is wrong in description )
    also express burn from http://www.nch.com.au/burn/plus.html

they seem nicely simple but there seems to be a problem with the drag and drop from play list to burn list and reordering the burn list.

thought is recordpad and expressburn for sun morning non tech users and import to garageband podcast maker for podcast upload to .mac publish on itunes

I thought some of this might be interesting and also wondered if anyone had experience or comment.
    thanks

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

GarageBand is the best software. It's actually very very simple, and isn't too difficult to get to grips with once someone's explained things to you. People @ my school have managed to get their heads around GarageBand in 5 minutes, without any kind of musical ability (at all) or technical knowledge.

Output from Mixing desk (I would recommend Behringer) into MacMini's Line Input + Garage Band = good stuff.

One thing you don't mention is how you plan to actually capture the sound. Do they already use microphones in your church?

3. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I used Audacity for quite a while to record the service. It proved to be highly unreliable. Garageband on the other hand is pure magic. I know almost nothing about music, but I could use GarageBand after 5 minutes.

4. maybury thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks for reply, particularly on audacity (reliablility is key for me, hence mac platform) and garageband.
    We have full sound settup and desk but have been limited to record to tape from aux channel. now got 12 ch tapco (by machie, nice wee desk) with key channels looped out of main desk, sound in is fine (out from record desk to iMic).

supplementary questions:

in garageband if I record straight to the podcast settup can I export tracks to an audio CD. I want to have. t1 intro t2 notices t3 worship t4 sermon then start burning CD's whilst the last worship happens.
    I tried garageband once a while ago and had 2 problems,
    1. the track ran out before the preacher did (1000 bars limit (about 20 mins))
    2.starting a new track was very clumsy ( I may not have got that right, I did 2nd track as seperate inputs and exported to iTunes by soloing channels for separate tracks),
    that was 2 generations of garageband ago (church hasn't had funds till now) and I suspect with new podcast settup both the above may be solved, but how do chapters relate to tracks and can you put track breaks in a single channel recording. or should I record the tracks to seperate channels in GB.

Question 2
    I'm expecting to get "export to jpeg" from powerpoint (or keynote when I can convert them to mac) and drag and drop slides onto podcast graphics channel when they are put on screen, anyone tried this, can you do that whilst recording?

thanks again

5. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I believe you may be able to do at least chapter markers for the podcast when you have the different sections on one track.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

In GarageBand, you could just slow the tempo down to the lowest setting possible.

I can't really answer the other questions to be honest with you - sorry! I think you're going to struggle when it comes to getting things done that quickly, unless you start investing in some much more serious and professional kit. Just my 2 cents though...

7. k0d3g3ar macrumors newbie

The one thing I've found most churches miss with podcasting is that its not just about making a recording - you have to promote and distribute it. Sure, iTunes does a lot of the work for you. But you need to host the MP3 content that you make on a reliable hosting service that is designed for high bandwidth. Our church made the fatal mistake of putting their content on our own website and were shutdown by the hosting provider because of the bandwidth.

We eventually moved the entire hosting to CyberEars.com (http://www.cyberears.com) who had a really inexpensive hosting plan ($5 a month I think) that gave us unlimited bandwidth. As a result, our iTunes registration was re-instated (they turned that off on us as soon as our host shut is down), and also all of our community are getting awesome download speeds. Also CyberEars.com do the RSS stuff for us, so we don't have to do anything other than just record the MP3 and upload it. That's it. Immediately syndicated to everyone.

K