Record Directly to Computer: Very Urgent

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mykbibby, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Hi Everyone,

I have a Sony XDCAM that records directly to flash memory chips. I am filming a production (a play) in which I need two hours of footage without a break, and the cards only hold 45 minutes of video. Now, I have decided to bring my mac pro to the production and record directly to it.

Long story short, I want to know if its possible to record directly to my computer. This production starts tonight, so this is definitely urgent.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes, as long as you have a capture card that accepts the SDI output of the camera and fast enough storage to keep up w/your chosen recording codec. I wouldn't recommend this though as 2hrs is a long time for a single record and if the computer hiccups at all the entire thing is lost.

Lethal

3. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I am recording through a computer to an external drive. Do you have a recommendation otherwise?

4. -DH macrumors 65816

If the camera has a Firewire connection, you should be able to use one of the many available hard disk drive (HDD) recorders such as those offered by Focus Enhancements (Firestore product line), CitiDisk or Laird. Most have record capacities up to 10 hours and will record in QT native codecs such as DV, HDV or DVCProHD.

-DH

5. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

How much? :rolleyes:

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Prices vary by model and features. Use Google for pricing and comparing features.

-DH

7. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

If you've got a DVD recorder deck (ie. the kind you would have in your living room), grab a splitter box and record simultaneously to the DVD recorder as a backup.

You should be able to plug the splitter box to the output of the camera, and then take one splitter output to your computer, and another into the AV input on your DVD recorder. Hit record on the deck (in long play mode) as the performance starts, and you'll have a good quality backup should the Mac have a hiccup.

Out of interest, what camera model do you have? If it's an HD camera, have you considered recording in SD mode? This would increase the recording time of your flash memory.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm assuming the OP has an EX1 as that's the only XDCAM camera out right now that shoots to memory cards. I think the Firestore FS4 will work w/the EX1, but only if the camera is in "SP" mode (which means recording with the lower quality HDV format instead of the higher quality XDCAM EX format). If you have two memory sticks and a laptop you could record indefinitely though 'cause the sticks are hot swappable. When Card A to fills up the camera will jump to Card B so just pull Card A and dump the footage onto your laptop. Repeat until the show is over.

Lethal

9. StrongBad macrumors member

which is exactly why tape rules and flash drools.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Er, not really. Recording to flash has fewer possibilities of errors than recording to tape. But the OP was thinking about using FCP for a two hour live recording which is risky, and not what FCP is intended for.

Lethal