Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I would like to record some audio from the app Bebot (which doesn't have recording capabilities) on my iPod touch.

I have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I could use to connect the iPod's audio output to the combined audio in/out of my 13" MBP.

But I'm afraid it would damage either of them. Also, would the audio port recognize the iPod as a "microphone" rather than a "speaker"?

Any thoughts?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I would like to record some audio from the app Bebot (which doesn't have recording capabilities) on my iPod touch.

Better I think to just use one of the software sollutions on the Mac to capture the audio. http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

I think there are other programs like it

Using software like this avoids an analog link and capturers the audio "bit perfect"

Mubanga

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
I think you can use that cable and audacity just put the volume on your iPhone not to load. a Saver idea would be to use a line-in on a desktop.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The thing is, audio comes from the iPod and would be recorded by Audacity on the mac. (The sentence wasn't clear...)

I use SoundFlower if I have to record audio on and from the Mac

Is it that hard to copy audio file off the iPhone. It's not heard at all with an iPod. iTunes will not do it but you can get third party software that makes it easy or if you know how the folders on the iPod work you just copy the files with a copy command from the terminal. iPods are not unlike external disk drives - easy to copy files.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Okay I'll explain the setup.

The app Bebot, on the iPhone or iPod touch, is a multitouch syntesizer that can generate different waveforms (sawtooth, square, sine, pulse, PVM) and apply effects (echo, chorus, overdrive). The X axis controls the frequency while the Y axis controls the amplitude of the wave.

Now I want to play something on the iPod (in real time) and record it. But there is no record function and since no apps can run in the background, I can't record it from the iPod alone.

So there it is. There is no saved file to copy, so I have to record it. And to record it, it is either my mac or an old cassette tape recorder.

(I can make a drawing if you still don't understand;))

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
So you need to plug your cable from your ipod to your Audio in on the MBP, it is a line in too so your levels should be fine. Open up some audio recording software, and you're off. You could record straight into your DAW if you wanted too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.