Record M4P to MP3

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by VacTacks11, Aug 11, 2015.

1. VacTacks11 macrumors member

On the Windows side I'm able to record DRM-protected .WMA's into MP3. There are a ton of programs that can do this, but the one I use records through a digital soundcard, so there's no digital>analog>digital fidelity loss like with programs that record through the soundcard.

I would love to do the same with Apple Music M4P files. Do you know of a program that can do for M4P what I can do for WMA?

I'm not interested in stripping DRM. That's not my end goal here.

Thank you

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you want to convert an Apple Music track to MP3 while maintaining the DMR so it will not play on any device? What would be the purpose of this?

3. Rigby macrumors 601

Perhaps you could explain what your goal is? If you want to convert DRM-free AAC to MP3, there are many programs that can do it directly (e.g. Foobar2K). No need to "record". Just be aware that there is always a quality loss (tandem loss) if you convert from a lossy encoding to another lossy encoding. If you want to strip DRM of music you own, you can do it without quality losses by signing up for iTunes Match.

4. manu chao macrumors 603

Audio Hijack Pro, anything that can be played on your Mac can be 'hijacked' (recorded) by it.

5. manu chao macrumors 603

Normally any conversion from one format to another involves decoding the original file (aka playing it) and then saving the audio using the other encoding (aka recording it).

6. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, the difference is that a direct conversion does not require playing the audio through the OS's audio pipeline which is what many of the "DRM removal" tools do. So it involves neither playback nor recording.

7. manu chao macrumors 603

But it is the same digital data, just taken after it passed through another pair of hands.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

I don't thinks that's possible. DRM makes more sense on more "limited' like scope of formats.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes there is. You're re-compressing an already compressed audio file so sound quality is lost.

10. Rigby macrumors 601

I wouldn't bet on it. Both the playback app and the audio mixer may add sound effects and/or re-sample the audio. Playback/recording is also a lot slower than simple direct conversion. But I guess DRM-free conversion is not what the OP was asking for anyway ...

11. manu chao macrumors 603

Sure, there is the 'Equalizer' as well as the 'Sound Enhancer' in iTunes which one would need to disable.