Record of Repairs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zerocustom1989, Dec 31, 2009.

1. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm looking at my 3rd or 4th major repair on this MBP pro unit. Is there an online resource at which i can examine my repair history so i can build a case for getting a replacement?
    Thanks.

2. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

If all of the repairs have been performed at the same store, or via send in to the depot, either AppleCare or the store will have record.

Personally, I always retained the paper records for the repairs so that I didn't have to hunt them down or argue, it was physically with me.

Otherwise, there's no resource for past repair history.

also to take into consideration, is that it has to be the third repair to the same component for them to replace the entire unit.

3. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Doest it have to be the same component? It would be the second time for this particular component, but I've had several other major repairs.

At this point i have no confidence this thing can go 8 months without problems.

I figure if the genius bar gives me a hard time i could just bring up the law:
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/usc_sup_01_15_10_50.html
    this section:
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/usc_sec_15_00002304----000-.html
    This portion:

if the product (or a component part thereof) contains a defect or malfunction after a reasonable number of attempts by the warrantor to remedy defects or malfunctions in such product, such warrantor must permit the consumer to elect either a refund for, or replacement without charge of, such product or part (as the case may be). The Commission may by rule specify for purposes of this paragraph, what constitutes a reasonable number of attempts to remedy particular kinds of defects or malfunctions under different circumstances. If the warrantor replaces a component part of a consumer product, such replacement shall include installing the part in the product without charge.

If I argue there there has been an unreasonable number of repairs on this unit maybe they'll be nice. Hopefully it wont come to having to utilize the law, though. Anyone have any knowledge that pertains to utilizing this language?