record on canon 24F, capture on sony possible?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by elcarlio, Jul 7, 2008.

1. elcarlio macrumors newbie

Im recording on a canon xh a1 at 24F. What happens if I take that cassette, put it in a sony DCR hc48 and capture with FCP. im not interested in HD, but wondering if i can still get canon 24F through the sony model or would i be better of recording at 60i? Im worried about capturing with my canon xh a1 since it wears off ... everything is going for web so i need deinterlaced video, any suggestions?
    Is the canon 24F really deinterlaced?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. 24p is not interlaced. 24f is not a bad thing, but it is not the same as 24p. 24f is interlaced. That said, the purposes of 24p and 24f are to simulate the look and feel of film or to record content with the intention of transferring it to film. Otherwise, you are probably better served recording in 30p or 60i. You might do well to research the various scan modes, their purposes, and how they work.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

AFAIK, Canon's "f" shooting modes are proprietary and will not playback properly in your Sony camera.

Lethal

4. polyethyleneguy macrumors member

So what if you capture using a cheap Canon DV camera. Would that work? I mean, it's just reading digital information and the computer is the part that is interpreting it. My freind records using a special pulldown 2:3:3:2 (i think) and uses a simple DV cam to capture (to reduce wear on the nice cam's heads). It seems to work fine.

5. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

I'll spare the technical details (because frankly I'd confuse myself), but only cameras that can record in 24F can play the 24F tapes. It is one of the "downsides" of Canon's "Frame" shooting mode.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just because it's 1's and 0's doesn't mean it can be universally read (try putting a PS2 game in an Xbox). Canon's 24f mode is proprietary tweaking to the HDV signal that makes it incompatible w/non-Canon gear.

This works because the signal on the tape is still a standard DV NTSC signal.

Lethal

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

To the OP: If you want to spare your tape heads, buy a discontinued HV10 or spring for a HV20/30 as a playback deck. In the process you get an excellent B camera that can record out via HDMI, thus bypassing the HDV codec(Why didn't Canon put this on the A1?!!) Supposedly the only confirmed Sony deck that supports Canon's 24f format is this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=876870

And it ain't cheap.

8. elcarlio thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but gave me another question ...

thanks for your replies, im out of the darkness, but now have a new question, whats that about recording through hdmi and bypassing the hdv codec? If i record on my xha1 is there something special ill need to do to capture with the hv 10/20/30? or just insert caset and capture on FCP?

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

... damn that sony deck is expensive.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Using the HDMI port you can record a live feed from the camera and get a better quality signal by avoiding the HDV compression. To do this you'd need a card like the Intensity, a Mac tower to put it in and fast enough storage to keep up w/the codec that you select.

Eh, it's all relative. For some of the gear I work w/$25k for a deck is on the inexpensive side.;)

Lethal

10. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

11. elcarlio thread starter macrumors newbie

HDMI workflow, or how to get as close to 24p from 24f

Sorry, didnt quite understand. To do this would the camera have to be connected to my mac? and capture live? would I skip using my xha1? how does this workflow go? What I need is to get as close to 24p shooting with my xha1.

Working on mac pro 2x2.66 dual core xeon, 3 GB at 667, FCP 6, 2 HD at 7200rmp. If i get the capture card would it be all i need?

Thanks again for your help.

12. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

No, the XHA1 DOES NOT have HDMI out. Ironically, the HV20/30 has HDMI out which would allow you to bypass the constraints of HDV compression (1440x1080, 4:2:0). You're already able to shoot at 24fps with the XHA1.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes, you'd have the camera (assuming it has HDMI out) connected directly to the Mac. So, Camera-->HDMI Out-->Intensity Pro. You'd then select which codec you want to capture to and you'd need to make sure your HDDs could keep up w/whatever codec you selected. DVCPro HD, for example, is a good middle ground between quality and performance and can be handled w/room to spare via FW800 external drives.

Lethal

14. elcarlio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks to everyone, so what i need to do is record on my A1 at 24F and capture from my HV30 at 24F, and everything will work out great. Also thanks for the hdmi, although its not an option for what i need precisely.

Great Forum.