Record ps3 gameplay to iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djcorrosive, Dec 27, 2009.

1. djcorrosive macrumors regular

Hi guys well i should be (hoping) to get my imac this week if not early next week! And i was wondering if its possible to record gameplay from the ps3 to the imac? What else would i need to make this happen?

2. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I am assuming that you are planning on using your iMac's screen to play PS3 games through MiniDisplay adapter correct? If so, the iMac will work as a screen only, you will not have any connection to the computer's hard drive or CPU while playing games, therefore you won't be able to record your gameplay.

3. djcorrosive thread starter macrumors regular

Nah dont want to play my ps3 through my Imac's screen, i got a 54" for that lol.

I just want to record gameplay to the imacs hard drive? Will a external TV card or something of the sort do this?

4. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

I don't think it would be possible but you never know. Let's hope someone else answers your question, it might be possible. Anyhow, good luck...

5. djcorrosive thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks mate :)

Hopefully it can be done. cause its really only recording to the HDD. so maybe it could be possible.

6. djcorrosive thread starter macrumors regular

I just found this youtube video but its for 360, i wonder if its possible with the ps3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPj6PB55Bg

incase anyone is interesting in watching it. btw the video is funny at the end ;) :apple:

7. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

8. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

:eek::cool::apple::apple::apple:

9. djcorrosive thread starter macrumors regular

hehe yeah my thoughts :p

I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred to get it right. and its in HD also which is great. I'll keep looking and seeing. i might msg that guy and ask him if it will be able to work on a ps3 also.

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Take a look at this baby.

Converts HDMI to Firewire. 720p and 1080i. It's meant for the pros and it's developed by Canopus — they're pretty much the best when it comes to digital video conversion. Don't look at the price tag. :eek:

(I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but because you're wanting high definition, you're a little limited. It's going to require a converter box of some sort, that's for sure.)

11. djcorrosive thread starter macrumors regular

OoOoO that looks GLORIOUS!

So im guessing it will connect to a firewire HDD and will save on ur HDD?

Also how would it work tho? i mean you have to have a hdmi from the ps3 to the tv? so how would u feed the ps3 into the box?

12. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well it converts the video so that you can record footage directly into the computer. So you could open your video editor of choice (Final Cut or iMovie, etc.) and import the gaming footage directly into the editor LIVE as you play the game. In this matter, you'd be using your iMac not only to record, but also to view what you're playing (as a monitor).

However, they probably didn't expect this device to be used for recording a gaming session :p And often when using converters, there can be lag when playing games. So for that reason, you'd probably need to get an HDMI splitter which would then have cables going from the back of your PS3 to your TV and the converter at the same time. This would enable you to view the game on your TV while import what you're playing directly onto the computer's hard drive (or an external hard drive attached to the computer, etc.).

The converter is made by Canopus, and they're a really good brand. Too bad their stuff is pricey though. But hey, they're the best there is when it comes to video conversion.

13. djcorrosive thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmmm interesting! dont tease me hahahahha cause knowing me and my itchy pockets i would do something stupid like that and get it hahaha.

14. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You can find some cheaper stuff out there, but it won't be as high of quality.

This product is discontinued, but you could probably find it on eBay for ~$150. Not high def. though. And standard video quality at best.

15. djcorrosive thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm yeah wont be too keen on SD.

I just want to record HD videos of me gaming in certain games. specially gt5 once its out. and stick em on youtube or show my mates straight from the hdd.

16. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Oi, get one of these

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

1080i or 720p. Since both the PS3 and 360 only properly play in 720p, its enough. Might have to find some 3rd party software or run windows.

17. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yeah, given that they only have Windows drivers, that makes it a little more difficult. But sometimes you get lucky — it could be plugged into iMovie and maybe it'd see it as a camcorder. Maybe.

If this were a Mac Pro, this would be a lot easier as you can get video capture cards that plug right into the tower. It's usually a lot cheaper too. But otherwise, you're looking at an external converter that'll be at least a few hundred bucks.

18. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The Blackmagic HDMI card or whatever its called?