Record Streaming Content on Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Synergy67, May 6, 2007.

1. Synergy67 macrumors newbie

I haven't been able to find a utility that will simply record whatever my Mac is presently processing as audio, like a streaming radio feed in iTunes. How can I do this? If I can hear it on my Mac, there should be a simple way I can record it to AIFF or MP3.

-S-

2. Rollershapple macrumors regular

I just downloaded it and recorded the audio from a music video on youtube. It was 3:32 seconds and it was almost 31mb! is there anyway to compress it down it around 3 or 4 mb?

3. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Itunes> Preferences> advanced> importing> [change to AAC, MP3] then _highlight_ the track you want to reimport to a compressed file format . Then select the itunes tab, Advanced> import as (AAC, MP3 etc). Don't forget to reset the import settings back to your standard itunes library file format import settings.

You must highlight whatever songs you want to re-import as another format.

Audio Hijack Pro allows recording in several formats. MP3, AAC and Apple Lossless. It also has lots of plugins, from increasing the volume to advanced settings. Sweet

FYI,
    Turning DVD PCM audio into an itunes compatible format can be accomplished through a couple of steps.
    Starting with a PCM files audio files obtained through the individual chapter rip setting (using MTR advanced version or whatever) then use "AIFF From PCM" or mAC3dec for converting 5.1 tracks to aiff, then itunes to import the final file type.

For single songs from a DVD it's usually easier to just "Hijack" the audio as the DVD plays, but you have to manually start and stop the recording. Using MTR chapter ripping produces individual files already selected.

The song length can be further edited, often the easist way is to just use the "Get Info"> "Options" > Start Stop times in itunes and edit, for example, "crowd noise", in a live concert, right in itunes. Much faster than a stand alone audio editor.

DVD PCM audio tracks will have to be hand labeled as to what songs they are. A great time saver is to play each PCM chapter using VLC before converting to aiff, editing out unwanted chapters.

I find Toast handy to arrange and label the song titles after using "AIFF from PCM" app. Or burn a CD first before attempting to add the files into a new itunes folder.

http://www.verek.com/ "aiff from PCM"
    mac3dec.sourceforge.net

ffmpegX allows conversion of many audio and video file types. I'm least familiar with using this application, but it looks promising and cheap.
    http://ffmpegX.com/

-
    Greenjeens

4. Rollershapple macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for the reply. Im still figuring it out though, I wish I could get pro but I dont have a credit card :(