Record video from iPhone to computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxredxpandaxx, Feb 20, 2014.

1. xxredxpandaxx macrumors newbie

Hi I would like to record video from my iPhone 5s to my computer so that I can record a long video (a couple hours worth) at 1080p and not run out of space. I did some research on it and the closest thing I could find was to FaceTime my computer and record that, but then the video quality will be degraded because it works over wifi. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

2. wwong-maui macrumors newbie

RE: Record video from iPhone to Computer

I'm playing with this same issue -especially "hardwiring" the iPhone to the Mac to get the best bandwidth...

There is an AirPlay-like option but as you say, there is a limit to WiFi bandwidth so the results depend on what video quality you're looking for, and it also means you need a local WiFi network available which can be a challenge if you're shooting "on-location".

Anyways, disclaimers aside, there are two products that do a great job of making your Mac an AirPlay Server...
    Reflector by airsquirrels.com and
    AirServer by airserver.com.

So from your mobile device, you enable AirPlay with mirroring and you'll see the Mac as an available "server". It does a great job of displaying the mobile device onto the Mac's screen and both products also allow for recording the session. Granted, both products are meant to allow you to "project" the mobile devices so it's not meant for video recording but it should work. And these products are less than $20. Good luck.