Record Video using Iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SolidTango, Jun 23, 2010.

1. SolidTango macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, is it possible to record video using the Iphone 3g camera? I downloaded some apps but none of them did the trick, if there is a way please let know.Much Appreciated.

PS: I m a total iphone noob so please be specific
    Once again Thanks

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Not unless you jailbreak your iPhone, which will require some time on your part to figure that all out. Here is an example video, shot from my jailbroken 3G. If you want to do this, since you're calling yourself a noob you will have to prepare yourself for lost data, void warranty (if applicable), lost time, a small amount of risk and a lot of research to make it all work. But then you won't be a noob anymore :)

3. SolidTango thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey i did the research and i jialbreaked my phone using PwnageTool to 4os
    now tell me how can i start using my camara to film?
    Thanks

4. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Bravo. You need Cycorder from the Cydia app installer. Videos you shoot will be in a specific directory on your iPhone and you will need ssh running and something like winscp or filezilla to get them out. Good luck and post your results :)

5. SolidTango thread starter macrumors newbie

ssh?winscp? :( moreee things
    hey i need some help dude; i installed the custom 4os but cycoder doesnt work on it so i downgraded to 3.1.3 cusom firmware, but itunes wont sync all my music back cus it says that the firmware is too old :/ i updated itunes when i updated to 4 os but now that i got back to 3.1.3 itunes wont work with it :(
    ideas?
    ps: i also tried to look for the old itunes exe file to install it again but i couldnt find it

6. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Yep, that's what I meant by "lost data, void warranty (if applicable), lost time, a small amount of risk and a lot of research to make it all work." I'm sorry I don't have additional ideas for you, except two broad suggestions: 1) When you've had it up to here and are about to lose your cool, take a break from this project for several hours. You may have new ideas when you come back to it. 2) The video quality isn't that awesome anyway. Get a 3GS or a Flip :)

Okay, one more thing. This site claims to offer old versions of iTunes. It is possible, though not likely, that they're serving up malware or viruses. Be careful when downloading software from a source other than its author.

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

7. SolidTango thread starter macrumors newbie

I did download it again from that same website yes i did use google :( but guess what, it doesnt even matter anymore cus my library is gone, yeah it doenst even appear on itunes anymore, all that work, all that time that i spent organizing music is gone, i m now using Media monkey but it crashed and now it wont recognize my iphone anymore :(
    Is there a way i can put my music like i would in any normal mp3 ( drag and drop songs on a folder)
    after is jailbroken -.- oh and the video quality that you posted was really good :/

8. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

At this point you have two options. You can continue to fight with it or you can go back to official 4.0. If you want to keep fighting, you have to figure out how to get iTunes and your iPhone happy and syncing music again before you should bother with video recording. I'm not able to advise you on that.

If you're ready to throw in the towel, reinstall iTunes 9.2, put your iPhone into recovery mode and restore.

Also look into whether your iTunes library is safe and sound on your computer somewhere. Look for an "iTunes" folder with a "iTunes Music Library.xml" file in it. If it exists, you may not have to reorganize all your music when this is over.

9. SolidTango thread starter macrumors newbie

Its cool, i manage to fix it somehow, dont ask me how cus ive been til 3 am trying to fix and now i dont remember :(
    Back to the video thingy, i ve already downloaded that program that lets you record from the cydia store, now how do i get from my iphone to my pc ? u named some programs but i dont know how to use em :( tips`?
    Thanks for being with me in this fight :)

10. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

hi
    sorry if I have missed the point here but I use qikvideo on my 3G from the appstore. Works well and you can upload straight to facebook etc

11. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

If you dont wanna jailbreak your 3G use an app called ivideocamera this allows you to record in 3g and also upload to youtube facebook and about 5 other sites

12. rwd hero macrumors 6502

iVideoCamera worked great with my 3G. You can get it right from the app store.

13. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Oopsie :)

@SolidTango your iPhone is a Unix computer in disguise. We use ssh (secure shell, google it) to communicate with and configure Unix computers using a command line interface. Putty (google it) is a good Windows ssh client. Ssh can also be used to access the file system (folders and directories) on a Unix computer. This is done with software like WinSCP or FileZilla, google them for more information.

If you're still on the jailbreak path, here are the next steps:

Install OpenSSH server on iPhone so you can ssh to it. (Cydia)

Find out what the default password for the iPhone's "root" account is and change the default password so people around you won't be able to take over your iPhone.

Use WinSCP or FileZilla (or CyberDuck if you're on a Mac) to access the iPhone's file system via the scp protocol, using the root account.

Browse to /var/mobile/media/videos and download your cycorder videos.

14. SolidTango thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh boy, ok i changed the password, i installed the terminal on my iphone and installed the open ssh server from cydia
    I downloaded both WinSCP and Filezilla but i dont know how to get to the browsing, my iphone doesnt come up as a device in any :/ help?

15. SolidTango thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind I GOT IT!!!
    YAYYYYY FINALLLY
    thanks a lot dude i can believe i finally did it, i feel like such a hacker
    thanks to anyone and specially to you:cool:

16. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I have learned more stuff about computers by doing weird stuff I shouldn't do that takes way more time than seems remotely sane. Congrats. In my case I ended up getting too frustrated with my 3G jailbreak, so I'm on a legit iPhone 4.

But wanna know a cool side effect? If you download and run "makeitmine" from cydia you can change your carrier string at top left (AT&T or whatever) to whatever you want. Then if you should ever restore to a proper Apple OS, there's a chance the carrier string will not revert back. At least that's what happened to me :)

[​IMG]

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

FALSE
    http://appshopper.com/photography/video-camera-for-iphone-2g-and-3g
    http://appshopper.com/photography/ifast-videocamera-for-iphone-2g3g

Just some of many and I use the first one on my 3g

Don't be spreading fud please:cool:

18. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Thanks. cleggster83 covered that already. My bad. Where were you six days ago? :)