recorded tv programs on vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cuestakid, Nov 5, 2007.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I was wondering if it was possible to take some TV programs that i have recorded over the years(mainly sporting events) and put them on DVD? I ask because I am looking into getting a either a new monitor with the elgato eye tv to record tv shows as well as convert my tapes or would it be cheaper to get an lcd tv to do both my tv viewing and computer usage.

thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Two ways

1) Buy a stand-alone DVD recorder or combo VHS-DVD recorder and simply dub from one to another

2) Use a DV Camcorder with analog passthrough capability, or buy a Analog to Digital video converter like a Datavidero DAC-200, Canopus, or Elgato, and convert the VHS output to DV and import it into iMovie on the Mac through Firewire, edit, and burn a DVD with iDVD.

3. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Several ways to do this. You can use an SCART -> DV converter like the Miglia Directors' Cut (discontinued) or the Canopus ADVC-110. These will output a DV stream that you can capture with iMovie.

But... I find the easiest and cheapest way is to invest in a domestic DVD recorder. Record your VHS stuff onto Recordable DVD, and then (if you want) rip the DVD to the Mac.

Good luck
    SL

EDIT: Or what CanadaRAM said.

4. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

so are you saying that I won't have problems with macrovision or any other kind of copyright? Because that was my primary concern was not being able to do it at all because of copyright

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Sorry, I was answering your question from a theoretical, technical viewpoint, not a legal one. I am not qualified to comment on the legal issues.

As for Macrovision, AFAIK that was only applied to pre-recorded VHS tapes.

SL

6. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

let me clarify what i meant- I asking whether or not the copyright issue would not allow me to do it technologically-I am aware that this may or may not be legal but Iwould like to know whether or not it is copyright or technology that would hinder me

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I don't know about the technical impact of Macrovision on what you want to do. However, if - as you say - it's TV programmes that you've recorded, then Macrovision doesn't apply.

SL

8. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000