Recording 720p/HD on 13' Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MyTotoro, Aug 28, 2011.

1. MyTotoro macrumors newbie

Wanted some expert advice, I can tangle when it comes to windows - but I'm caught pants down in the macbook scene.

So I was going to get the 13" new air in the next little while and thinking of buying a webcam (Logitech HD C910?) so that it could face frontwards.

This would

a) be my little internet surfer and browser for email, chat
    b) do some Microsoft Excel work
    c) working with uni lectures...

a) is a no-brainer and I think for b), I just need to buy a copy of Office for Mac and I'm good to go, as for c...

I wanted to record audio with an Olympus dedicated audio recorder (it will act as a secondary storage drive and output them as mp3 files) and record video of my prof using the webcam + macbook air combo.

1) Is it possible first of all

2) Quality? I see different inputs from reading various sources: Quicktime, Photobooth, iMovie. Remember that I've never used a mac before so I can't say from personal experience, will the native/downloadable software be apt, or must I use some professional video editing software.

Note: I don't need 1080p, I'll be around 5 - 15 metres away, even if I am farther away, it wouldn't be that big of an issue, I'd like to be able to zoom in, and just wait until the camera puts it into focus again. Remember that words don't disappear after they've been written on the blackboard, and as long as the quality is not horrid, it will make sense with the audio

3) I will need to do this for 150 minutes. (3 50 min lectures, it is safe to assume that the classes won't be in-record-out, next classs, in-record-out, but if it can hit 150 minutes without being plugged into the wall - I'm good.

4) Can I easily merge the audio and video files afterwards on the mac? I just need them to match up so they don't have a 15 sec delay (nothing beyond a 1 second delay and no special effects needed really), maybe some cropping of useless parts like the beginning or end

I will port the files off my mac every day onto an external storage, so that shouldn't be an issue - though I heard that 30 seconds of HD recording on the mac is around 8mb, which seem scary and is pushing the limit.

thanks =D

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I can't answer whether your intended set-up will work or not, but I do have some comments.

Why not just use a dedicated video camera or a hybrid device. Something like a Flip video camera would work great for recording lectures. Heck, even a 5thGen iPod nano would do. For the Flip, you may want to invest in a Gorilla tripod or something.

ft