Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
hi guys

I would like to record a podcast/interview people on location; meaning I need a small portable setup for a two way conversation.

Im just thinking, would this be possible solely with my iPhone? Is the internal mic ok to do this?
If not, can anyone recommend some other options?

jakeOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2005
hi guys

I would like to record a podcast/interview people on location; meaning I need a small portable setup for a two way conversation.

Im just thinking, would this be possible solely with my iPhone? Is the internal mic ok to do this?
If not, can anyone recommend some other options?

It would work, yes. You could use the internal mic and voice notes / Garageband.

with the camera adapter (the USB port + lightning cable) you can also attach a USB mic, so for the weight of just a Yeti and your phone, you can get a significant update to your sound quality.

There are a few apps out there for podcasting just on iOS as well. Mostly they provide the editing / posting options that Garageband would not.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
If you plan on releasing it, I would definitely get some sort of dedicated mic. There are plenty of great Lightning mics that would vastly improve the quality of your audio and cut down on ambient background noise. As the previous commenter mentioned, you can also get an adapter (or better yet, a Lightning enabled audio interface like an iRig or Apogee Jam) and use any kind of microphone that you like, no Lightning input required.

You will definitely want at least one of these two things if you're recording a podcast and not just making a voice memo to reference later. Although, a headphone set with any kind of inline microphone will do fine for just recording yourself.

I record a podcast with a friend remotely over FaceTime, and we each use a pair of Beats Solo 3's wired up with the in-line microphone from the cable. We record our audio separately in GarageBand and I send him my file when we're done for him to mix. Comes out sounding pretty good, but I ended up picking up a dedicated mic between seasons to improve audio quality on my end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.