Recording an event on a big screen?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ejdge, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ejdge macrumors newbie

I've been offered a job to shoot a ceremony that requires me to record the event as well as display what I'm shooting simultaneously on a big screen. What do I need to do this?

I have an A1-XH and also have experience shooting events, but am not sure what kinds of cables/connections I need to hook up my camera to the screen. Is it possible to record and output my camera at the same time? Do I need to be shooting in 4:3 or does it depend on the screen?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Does "Big Screen" mean a TV or projector?

In any event, you'll need to connect to your camera's output, the best choice would be the composite output if you'll be more than 20 or 30 feet from the big screen. For long runs (over 200'), you may need a DA or line amp to boost the signal from the camera.

Do you also need to supply an audio feed from your camera?

-DH

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Use the BNC output. I do live events and we run hundreds of feet of it from our Gy-Hd200's. Composite is unbalanced and will look horrible and the shielding on the cable sucks. I'd buy hundreds of feet of BNC cable. You can get BNC to RCA adapters for the terminating connection.

You DONT need a line amp for this kind of stuff. The signal loss is VERY low and will look fine. go to DUTV.org (my workplace) and check out the fashion show. We had each camera on maybe 100 feet of cable and it looked fine.

As for the aspect ratio... It depends on how the A1-XH outputs it. If it's anamporphic and it's going to a 4:3 set it's probably going to get squished. Try it out on your tv.

Moral of the story. Get the BNC from BandH

4. -DH macrumors 65816

ummm .... the BNC output (or RCA on consumer cameras) IS composite video out. And by the way, a video signal isn't balanced or unbalanced ... perhaps you're thinking of audio signals.

And if you use good cables, like Belden 8281 RG59U, the signal will be great. Perhaps you're using cheap cables. Rule #1 for video, especially live video: USE GOOD QUALITY CABLES.

As I stated above, you MAY need a line amp for runs longer than 200'. But it all depends on the camera's ability to drive the signal. Not all cameras can push a 1vp-p signal that far without significant loss. Mine can and perhaps yours can as well. But not all cameras can do that well.

As for the aspect ratio... check the display device to see if it's capable of handling either aspect ratio, then set the camera accordingly.

-DH

5. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Whoops. -DH was right about the balanced thing, I goofed, RCA over audio is unbalanced.

Anyways, reason why i suggested the BNC cable over RCA composite was the cables tend to be higher quality. The cable tends to be thicker and the twist lock mechanism prevents cables from splitting at joints, which could happen with the RCA stuff.

My bad about the unbalanced goof. I apologize. But yeah, either way, composite all the way.