Recording and Mixing

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ValleyOfTheSun, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ValleyOfTheSun macrumors newbie

I'm going to start recording music on my Macbook using garageband. I need to buy a keyboard, mic and audio interface. I was thinking about this interface: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=702&ParentId=114

Let me know what you think, and I need suggestions for mic and keyboard. How many channels do I need for a mic, guitar and keyboard? I assume stereo is two channels per instrument.

Also, what do I need to mix tracks and blend multiple tracks(including songs I already own) together?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

umm... songs you already own? like songs you bought from the store? ... do you plan to sell this music you make, or just have fun with it?

Every source needs a channel, if you source is stereo (like L and R from your keyboard) it will need 2 inputs.. so with your setup you'll probably need 4 inputs ...

3. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Rubbish! You only need two inputs. That is what multi tracking is for. That is unless you can play guitar, keys and sing at once. If you prefer to sing whilst playing the keys you need three. If doing that seperately (or having the keys in mono) doesn't bother you then you should look at the apogee duet. Everyone loves the duet.

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Or unless you would like your setup to be convenient. What I mean is that I wouldn't want to rewire my mics/instruments and fine-tune gain settings, select phantom power, etc. every single time I record a different instrument or mic. So while multitracking is possible with just one input channel, it sure isn't a convenient solution.

- Martin

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Rubbish my ass, he never said he wasn't going to be using them all at once. He asked what do I need to record all of these, and that answer was correct.

6. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

I haven't seen your ass so I couldn't comment. In realistic terms would they be buying a keyboard for someone else to play? Did they mention other band members? Isn't it more likely that this is a one man operation? Wouldn't it be better that they spent their money on something with fewer inputs and perhaps had to put up with plugging and unplugging of cables, and perhaps even overdub if they have the choice between an interface with many inputs and one with only two but good A/D and pres?
    IMO your much better off with a simpler interface with less features that sounds really good as opposed to spending your money on something with lots of features that doesn't sound so great - like my mbox 2, errrgh.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well ... its pretty hairy ... :D

do you think he'll be getting good converters out of a duet? ... you're very wrong

8. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Having never heard it I have no idea, I only suggested it because people seem to be giving it good reviews - so it might be worth investigating. If you say otherwise I'm inclined to agree.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so... you've heard it?

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

no, but, apogee won't publish it's specs (kinda scary)... and if it was better than their other converters then why would it be priced so low (with included preamp and fire wire interface)

I'll stick to my Mytek thank you very much..

11. USC96 macrumors newbie

USC96

Maybe I'm not understanding the context of your statement, but the Duet sounds damn good. :rolleyes: Maybe not as good as a two thousand dollar piece of equipment, but for what it is, there isn't much competition out there. :cool:

12. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

my statement was "good" ... not, "good for the price"

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think that's "scary", as i'd (much) rather buy something based on its sound and use in my workflow than by specs.

yeah, i don't really buy into such logic. maybe they're saving money by more clever manufacturing, or maybe they realized they can't sell the mini-me @ $1300. what is the price of that unit now, like $800?

and maybe it's a loss leader for them. regardless, i don't think you can call it crappy based on such logic, especially when it's from a company that has a pretty good track record at putting out good products.