Recording audio from DVR

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Russell L, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Russell L macrumors regular

I have a concert recorded on my DVR (a Comcast combo HDTV cable box & DVR) from which I'd like to extract the audio portion into my mac pro. (I hope to eventually burn a CD from it.) According to the manual, the DVR outputs audio via coax, optical, HDMI, and IEEE-1394 (Firewire), as well as (of course) its analog outputs. What's the best (and easiest) way to get the audio tracks out of the DVR? What do I need? I know I can always tap the analog outputs into the sound-in port of my Mac and redigitize it (I would use Sound Studio for this) but I'd rather keep the signal in the digital domain.

Thanks,
    Russell

2. SonicChronicler macrumors member

SonicChronicler

Your easiest way will be to link the DVR to your Mac via an optical cable. Capture the audio with your choice of Audio recording software.

You could use the Firewire, but I would guess that would output Audio and Video at the same time, so you'd need to extract the Audio (which you could do with your included software by capturing in iMovie and sending the soundtrack to Garageband)

I'd go with Optical.

Sonic

3. Russell L thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but where on my Mac Pro would I plug in the optical cable? I don't believe there's such a jack there. Would I need a separate device as a go-between?

Russell

4. Russell L thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it looks like I do have an optical (Toslink) input jack (2 of 'em, in fact) on my Mac Pro after all, so it looks like this option will work. Now I've gotta find a Toslink cable!

Russell