recording class lectures on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wallace86, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Wallace86 macrumors regular

i'll be getting one with the next revision, and i need a recording device to record my classes. i was wondering if i should get a tape recorder thing or save the money and record on my future mbp...(i'll be taking notes on it anyway). thanks. (only audio recording)

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Buy a good quality external microphone (which should be cheaper than a tape recorder) and use QuickTime Pro or equivalent to capture the audio.

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I used quick time pro to record the audio captured by my macbook pro's integrated mic. It works great when up close...and not well at all when at the back of a big lecture room. What ends up happening either way is that you end up capturing the sound of you typing, and it gets amplified a lot. I'm sure a separate mic would be better...

4. TDPHunter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Yeah, If anything. I would buy a recorder with a flash drive that could be plugged into a computer. That would be the best option. Wonder if anything like that is available..

5. Wallace86 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, yea thats probably right about the typing, lol. how annoying would that be. my master plan is to record lectures, and listen to them while i play 360, so my call of duty 4 addiction will not destroy my grades. if anyone knows of a good mic, i'd be interested in hearing. thanks for the replies.

6. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

they are, the quality on them is awesome as well!

7. Wallace86 thread starter macrumors regular

what type do u have? i cant find any of these things. thanks.

8. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

Better ask your professors if they mind first. Some professors DO NOT want you to record their lectures, and they get PISSED about it.

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I second this. My psychology professor is really psycho about recording his lecture and using mobile phones in lecture. lol

10. Wallace86 thread starter macrumors regular

11. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

Some professors divulge information in their lecture that they can't afford to have on record. I know at my school, there's one professor who used to work for a foreign government, and if some of the stuff he says in his lectures gets out or is put on record, he could be in serious trouble. I'm pretty sure I've heard some people say that he'll straight up fail you if he sees you trying to record his lecture in any way.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The beauty of the mbp is that they will never know...haha.

But seriously, the typing thing way overpowers the lecturer's voice.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Your "master plan" is not a good substitute for notes and good 'ol fashion quiet studying.

14. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

Seriously...your performance in either COD or school will take a hit. Unless you're a high genius (which, no offense...you don't seem to be) you're not going to be able to just absorb information like that. You might as well be trying to learn from listening to those lectures in you're sleep.

15. theman macrumors 6502a

meh, if why even go to class, i haven't gone to class in 2 years and still have a 4.0.

16. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I don't go to class either for the most part. It's pointless, especially in engineering. The professor ends up spending half the class answering some idiot's question. I don't have time for that.

I actually don't do homework or quizzes either. I only take exams. Makes it difficult to pass sometimes, but whatever. I'm there to learn, not to become a clone. I usually just end up skipping all the classes and teaching the material to myself the night before the exam.

17. tradosaurus macrumors newbie

4.0 on a scale of what? :)

18. tradosaurus macrumors newbie

Having graduated from engineering in 1989 I can attest that you won't use approximately 95% of what you did or did not learn in classes. :rolleyes:

Everything I learned I gathered on the job.

Universities are businesses and are primarily there to make money not to teach you applicable skills and knowledge that you can actually use in life. :(

19. Wallace86 thread starter macrumors regular

a "high" genius huh....i may be able to get the first part, but i may have to tweak the second part slightly.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I agree with this advice. I had a history professor this past semester who didn't want to be recorded because she felt that her lectures were her property. You never know what will bother some people.
    Not really. There is a logical reason behind it.

Either way, recording lectures isn't the best way to go. Studies have shown time and time again that the good old fashioned pen and paper work the best. ;) :)

21. Pim macrumors member

Pim

Studying and playing Call of Duty at the same time, wouldn't that be great?

22. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I've had students do that during my lectures! He only gave himself away when he instinctively pumped his fists in the air in mid-sentence of my lecture. I thought it was funny and didn't say a word since I knew what would eventually happen (he flunked out the next semester).

23. tradosaurus macrumors newbie

I think this was the same guy that served me my fries at mcdonalds the other day. :)