Recording desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marciohumpris, Jan 14, 2011.

1. marciohumpris macrumors member

Guys,

Any tips on a nice software to record my desktop that could auto save to WMV so I can send to PC users?

IshowU is nice, but records to MOV, then have to convert, etc. or upload via some free/paid service...

Jing is nice but 5 min limit even on pro version it seems.

Whats best method to record desktop in a format I can send PC users without requiring them to install Quicktime?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

QT Player X is able to record the screen and QT Player for Windows is quite easy to install. As .wmv is a Microsoft format, there won't be any software for Mac OS X I guess, but you can take a look at Flip4Mac.

3. marciohumpris thread starter macrumors member

Sorry but this QT Player, quicktimes comes with mac or I have to download? So I can record screen with it for free? And then converting to WMX takes long, what sw do you recommend for that, if possible free?

Im looking also to Camtasia, has interesting option to publish videos in flash to any FTP it seems. I Show U HD I could use also, convert to WMV... Or use their service to upload, but then its paid.

Thanks!

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If you are on Snow Leopard, Quicktime X should be pre-installed with OS. You can use it to record screen and mic or computer audio.

It will automatically make a .mov file. But, as stated before, you could have Quicktime for Windows installed on the Windows machines easily and free, and then play any .mov file on them without much hassle. Other than that you will need to convert to .wmv.

You can try AnyVideoConverter for Mac. just google it.

I would suggest Jing, it saves as flash automatically.