Recording displays of different computers with an rMBP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gwendolini, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Hi.

I currently work at a broadcast network in the master control room and we want to do a presentation of our work for some higher executives (probably to show, that we are still needed and cannot be automated yet - as the automation of control rooms is on the rise).

We have about 16 different terminals all accessible through KVMs from IHSE.

Since most of those computers run different Windows systems (from XP to 8) and we do not have admin rights to install screen recording software (which would be the easiest solution), I thought about a capture card and a splitter (if necessary) to record the video stream onto my 13" rMBP (2015 model).

I thought about the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (USB 3.0 or TB), and connecting the DVI from the KVM to a DVI to HDMI adapter (I have a cable from DVI to HDMI, which should also work) and then use the HDMI-IN on the Intensity Shuttle and then FCP X to record the action on the display.

I might need a DVI to 2xDVI splitter like this one, in order to see the action on the actual display and the smaller representation on my 13" rMBP.

Has anyone any experience with this? Or does anyone know a better suited forum for asking this question (CreativeCow or ...?)?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

I think you are going to need something more involved than that. some kind of scan converter/frame synchronizer. you need to make whatever the outputs of the various computers are conform to a television standard (such as 1280 x 720 at 59.94fps or 1920 by 1080 at 29.97fps).

something like this,
    http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/convert_dvi_plus/
    and that's the cheapest one I could find.

you might be better off setting up in a dark room and pointing a camera at the monitor.

3. Gwendolini, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

Gwendolini thread starter macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

And I need such fsync due to the different frame rate the monitor uses?
    Gladly all terminals use 1920x1080 resolutions, though I cannot determine the frame rates.

Or what about those capture units that grab video for gamers, like this Elgato product?

And the BM Intensity Shuttle can capture 1080i at 60Hz, or would that not be enough?

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I think you can film LCD screens with a video camera and not have the kinds of sync issues we used to experience with CRT screens. I'd tend to agree this would be the easiest, and certainly the cheapest solution.

5. Gwendolini thread starter macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

That I know, but the quality will be **** compared to a screen recording.