Recording Drumset into my Macbook Pro with Garage Band...How!!?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mgacam2, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mgacam2 macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2007
    Hey guys, so I have an acoustic drum set and I want to start recording. I know that I'm going to need something that has some sort of interface. What I was planning was to buy a drum mic set of around 7-8 mics and then I want to record all of them in Garageband. What type of interface would I need to get. I'm assuming a firewire interface. Does Garageband support this? Basically any suggestions of what to get in order to get this to work? I really have no idea if I should get a mixer or a preamp or what. Sorry if this has been asked before. By the way I also don't have the LARGEST budget so keep it around 500 ish or so for whatever interface I may need to buy. Thanks!
  2. firestarter macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2002
    Green and pleasant land
    You're going to need an interface with 7 or 8 mic preamps - which most of the smaller ones don't have (there are lots of good inexpensive interfaces around with 2 mic preamps and 6 to 8 line level inputs).

Personally I'd take a serious look at something like the Zoom R24. You can record 8 microphone inputs at once onto SD card, and can then import those tracks into garage band.
  3. alexh123drum macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    Manchester, UK
    You will not need anything near 7-8 mics for recording drums. You can get some nice recordings with 4 decent mics (bass, snare, OHL, OHR).
  4. product26 macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005