Recording external camera into ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ekogan19, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ekogan19 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to attach an external camera/webcam (USB preferred via USB adapter) and record the feed into some app (iMovie?). I have an ipad 2, and I'd like to record a movie with it but not with the device itself.

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Now that camera functionality has been added to iOS for iPad2, I would assume it's possible. The only problem is that this functionality may be present only on the iOS build for the iPad2. If this is the case, then it's not possible, otherwise what follows may be something worth considering.

If the internal cameras are connected to the system via USB, then it's just matter of finding an external camera that it's compatible with the internal cameras. Unfortunately, I do no longer have any webcams to test with.
    Maybe someone else may be able to test this, including someone with an iPad2; the first step is to find a compatible camera.
    Implementing it on the iPad1 may require jailbreaking and creating a custom version of iOS that will include the drivers for it.

In simple words: In theory, it's possible.