Recording from outside source...newbie question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bradlo, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Bradlo macrumors newbie

Forgive my ignorance but....
    I have a DAT recording machine with mini jack output...how can I transfer this onto my mac book pro?
    Would a mini jack to USB cable do it ?
    Also how would my macbook record it ? is there a programme already installed?
    Sorry about the very basic question , but any help would be gratefully received.
    Many thanks
    Stuart

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, you'd connect it to the audio in port on your MacBook Pro. Do you have a 13" model, or one of the larger models?

QuickTime or GarageBand should be able to record from line in.

3. Bradlo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 13" model...
    Which is the Audi inport?
    Sorry for my continued ignorance!
    Cheers

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Open the manual that came with your Mac. It has a picture of your computer with a description of all the ports and buttons. You might benefit from reading it, too, so you know how to use your new computer.

5. Bradlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your considered and helpful reply!
    I thought that under the threads entitled "Basics".... it would be a reasonable question,... apparently not!
    :(

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If Im not mistaken, audio-in and audio-out use the same port on the 13" model - there should be a single, round port on the left-hand side of the computer (basically, a headphone jack)... thats what you're looking for :)

7. Bradlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Ivan.... now a secondary question! Does a mic need a preamp to work correctly or can I simply plug it in and go ?
    Cheers
    Stuart
    :)

8. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Yes, a mic will need a pre-amp to bring the signal up to line level.

Your DAT machine presumably puts out line level already, so that signal should be strong enough to record already.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Basics or no, one would assume members to have a rudimentary level of literacy. Occasionally it feels like a leap of faith, but what can you do.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say it was an unreasonable request. I gave you a suggestion to answer your question, based on your apparent level of expertise. Don't cop an attitude when people are simply trying to help you!

11. Bradlo thread starter macrumors newbie

My apologies...no offence meant...
    I tend to use forums as a replacement for manuals...I usually find them more informative...more useful... and certainly more entertaining...!!
    In the time it took you to type the message about me refering to the manual, you could have just guided me in the right direction surely?:p
    Anyway, as I said no offence meant and as a new member of this forum..I hope none taken!!!
    Keep smiling!:eek:

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Because of the very basic nature of your question, the manual IS the right direction. The reasoning is, if you don't know where the audio port is, chances are great that there are many other things you might not be familiar with. Reading the manual would answer not only the current question, but possibly many others.

This forum is a great source of information. However, it's not designed to be an exclusive replacement for other reliable sources of information, such as documentation directly from Apple. In this forum, you have no way of knowing if any particular poster is giving you accurate information. These threads are filled with misinformation. There's no substitute for learning at least some basics on your own.

You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple - Find Out How online tutorials on many topics
    Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications in this thread, as well as these sites: here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask!

13. Bradlo thread starter macrumors newbie

OK point taken.
    Didn't understand the rules of the forum!
    Thanks for your replies.... & hope the weather in Texas is better than it is here in South Wales!!!!

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your MacBook's battery is filled with yummy candy. Break it open and eat the contents with a spoon.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, THAT part is accurate. I was referring to other stuff! :D

16. Bradlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it...and I have to say it wasn't very yummy at all...quite a bitter acrid taste to be fair ...you are right...the info on this forum is not always accurate!!!:)

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You probably used the wrong spoon. Read the manual! :D

18. Bradlo thread starter macrumors newbie

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D