Recording from sequencing software

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by AMcView, Jan 1, 2008.

1. AMcView macrumors newbie

Hi All--

I read the posting on how to record on a Mac. But, I would like to know how to get it off onto a CD.

I used to have a Kurzweil PC88mx keyboard that I used with a PowerMac and Music Shop, a sequencer program.

Anyway, I want to get a PC88mx again and use it with a Powerbook (I only have OSX 10.3.9), so I would be putting the MIDI through the USB port and finding and using current MIDI sequencer software (any suggestions for Mac sequencing software?).

My question is--how do you record a CD from this? When I used to do this I was told that you had to put a microphone up to the keyboard amplifier speaker and record as the computer had the keyboard play the MIDI file.

This seems as if it would produce really bad quality as you would be getting all the noise from the amplifier and, of course, any noise that occurs while you're recording: traffic, dogs barking etc.

So, I never tried it.

Is there a way to get the sounds right from the keyboard and get a clean recording?

I also have a Sony multi-track minidisc recorder that I'd love to record on, but don't have a clue as to how to get the keyboard sounds on it without putting the mic up to the speaker!

Thanks so much.

Annette

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

each 'sequencer' program (look for a DAW, btw, not an app that only sequences) has its own way of turning a virtual instrument into a waveform.

but if you're using an external keyboard / sound module, then, yes, most likely you'd have to bring that analog signal in through an analog/digital converter for your DAW to record. that's a keyboard that was being played from your DAW or sequencer.

you could either take a line level out of your keyboard to the converter, or you could do as mentioned: pipe that to an amp, and mic the amp. you'd do the latter if it sounded better. i.e. clean and direct doesn't always sound better, imho.

3. AMcView thread starter macrumors newbie

(look for a DAW, btw, not an app that only sequences)

Oops! I don't know what a DAW is!

And thanks for the info. It's hard to believe a mic to the speaker would sound OK and that that's the way it's done! (But I believe you!)

Can it produce stereo this way?

Thanks.

4. AMcView thread starter macrumors newbie

[most likely you'd have to bring that analog signal in through an analog/digital converter for your DAW to record.]

OK--so I've been looking around. I found the Firewire 1814
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire1814-main.html

Would that work? I plug my keyboard in there and into the computer's firewire and into my Sony multi-track recorder and it'll put my keyboard sounds in--right?!?

Thanks!

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

= Digital Audio Workstation. examples are Pro Tools, Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase.

a sequencer program tends to allow sequencing only. DAWs have that and the ability to record, playback, edit and mix audio alongside virtual instruments.

it *can* sound better, and in certain cases (like guitars) nearly always does.

through an amp? if you're recording w/ a stereo mic or two mono mics set up in stereo. not sure why'd you want to, unless the keyboard has some cool onboard stereo effects that you can't reproduce in the DAW. typically, you'd record the a keyboard part mono and place it in a stereo context in the DAW. there are exceptions, of course -- piano being a typical one.