Recording Guitar on Macbook

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by nickXedge, Feb 23, 2008.

1. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Okay, I know this has been asked a million times and people have answer it a million more however all the forums I read are very complicated and most of them old and I'm totally new at this. Bear with me, please.

I play guitar as a hobby sometimes. I just got a new Macbook (Late 2007). My question is can I simply plug a guitar into the computer using an adapter or something and record onto garageband just for fun? I'm not looking for anything professional whatsoever. Just want to be able to record guitar onto my Macbook.

I'm not looking to buy any extra equipment. I have a few electric guitars, an acoustic guitar and a 50 watt amp. I'm curious on the simplest way for me to plug a guitar into my computer and record. I know I could use the built in microphone but won't that hurt the sound quality considerably?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

just use a simple quarter inch jack lead and use a quarter inch jack to 1/8 jack adapter and put it in the line in on the macbook.

i'd recommend using ear/headphones when recording, purely because if its got a little bit of distortion on it and your facing the laptop it'll feedback like hell