Recording in Garageband/Logic Express 7

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by nirmits, May 7, 2007.

1. nirmits macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm a new mac user - getting a mac book pro in 2 weeks, with logic express 7 installed.
    Now, here is the problem - my band and i wish to record a few of our songs. But since we don't have the budget to go for a professional studio recording, i thought of trying out the mac because of all its recording features..
    Now, i have 3 guitarists(lead,rhythm,bass), 2 singers, a drummer(me), and a pianist to record. What hardware is the best suited for recording?
    I've heard about the 'dvforge guitarplug' and 'Flex micplug' and was planning to get 3 of the guitar plugs and about 5 of the micplugs(2 for the vocalists and 3 for the drums)....but i haven't found any reviews on them and don't know how reliable they are.
    Any advise?
    An are there any better solutions to fit in my budget....lets say $150-$200?
    Help would be gr8

2. drumforfun19 macrumors regular

drumforfun19

I'm in the same EXACT situation. I'm a drummer too and I think I'm just going to try out Logic Express. Garage band is pretty solid, and I've used it a few times. But I'd have to imagine that Logic Express has many advantages.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I wish I could help more, but you might search this forum for midi-mixers, usb mixers, etc.

alos, It might be good to play the song straight record one mic (well placed), then play it back through headphones, and let each member play their part in at a time then align and clean up each track.

I'm no pro for sure, so not sure how well these programs work for cutting out crossover noise from one mic to the next, I'm sure it depends on your other hardware too.

Best,

Brian

4. Staggerlee77 macrumors newbie

Interesting...the dvforge guitarplug and Flex micplug look like something I'm definitely going to check out.

I don't know how well it will work if you're planning on recording multiple instruments at once. I have to agree with the other poster who suggested overdubbing.

Something else you might want to consider is getting one of the less expensive M-Audio interfaces (like this one) and a couple decent cheap mics (such as an SM57 and an MXL V63M) then tracking the drums first and adding the rest of your tracks one at a time.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if you've got real guitarists, who play real guitars through actual amps, i urge you to skip any kind of DI situation (especially one that relies on a $15 Hi-Z amp and a/d converter) and stick some mics in front of those amps. sm57's are fine for such an application.

and then spend some money on some kind of multi-channel firewire interface.

though not ideal, you can mic a drumkit w/ 4 sm57's (1x snare, 1x kick, 2x overheads). or even better -- use a pair of AT 2020's as overheads, they're not much more than 57's.

6. nirmits thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, you're right, my guitarists would rather mic their amps then use those flimsy things....
    The link for the multi-channel firewire interface was helpful - but if i buy some of that equipment - i might be more expensive than doing at a sound engineers studio..plus, it might not work....coz I live in India, so this equipment will hav to be shipped..and if it doesn't work I'm screwed
    ..so i think i'll just crap the idea for now and go down the usual road - i know a guy who charges $250 per song in his personal studio

Thanks anyways,

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think you'll end up spending less and getting better results sooner. imho, one should only buy gear if 1) they want to make some simple demos, and/or 2) they don't mind spending time and money on becoming a better engineer.

8. nirmits thread starter macrumors newbie

PreSonus Firebox

Hey, went through the link again, and found something
    In a hypothetical solution, will using the Presonus firebox work for 3 mic inputs and 3 guitar inputs?
    Like i said earlier, 3 guitarists, and 3 mics for the drum kit.
    What I'm thinking is my guitarists will simply plug in their guitars through an amplifier first, and then with a line out, connect it to the device - which will go straight to mac. Can record the vocals later using the same device. Will this work with the Presonus firebox??
    If it does, life will be much simpler....