Recording in multiple tracks with USB mics?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kevindosi, Jun 3, 2015.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

So I need to start conducting and recording interviews using Garage Band, Audacity, or some other preferably free software. I just assumed that I could go buy a couple of USB microphones, plug them in, and record in different tracks. I tried just that, and then learned that it's apparently impossible. Is that right?

From what I gather, I need to have 2 xlr microphones and plug them into some sort of audio interface or mixer, and then plug that into my computer. Is that right? I'm not sure what I should do, because I bought my two microphones online and can no longer return one of them (a Snowball Blue).

I'm on a really tight budget and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on it. I suppose I could record from both microphones on one track, but that would make editing difficult. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I am going to -guess- (and it's ONLY a "guess") that when using a USB-based mic, you can connect only one mic per "USB channel".
    And that this is the source of your problems.

It might be possible to pick up a USB-based audio interface without spending a lot of money. I just browsed ebay quickly, and saw this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-S...075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27faf1efab
    (no financial interest in above item)

That's a very good price for a 2-channel interface, with a warranty included.

You would also need 2 "regular" (i.e., non-USB) mics with XLR connectors and cables. Actually, it's possible to find acceptable condenser mics in the $50-75 range now. They'll get the job done and work fine.

You'll also need some cables. I've found "good enough" cables at excellent prices from partsexpress.com.

You'll need "tabletop" mic stands as well.

Do not expect to find the right combination of equipment for your needs without some research. That's what we all had to learn for ourselves...