Recording Live Drums In GarageBand?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dearambellina26, Jun 28, 2008.

1. dearambellina26 macrumors newbie

Hey, my brother has this mixer thing:

HTML:
    http://www.music123.com/Behringer-EURORACK-UB2442FX-PRO-Mixer-631230-i1153473.Music123?cm_mmc=$(channel)$-_-Behringer-_-Mixers-_-Behringer%20EURORACK%20UB2442FX-PRO%20Mixer&source=ZWFRWXX&mr:trackingCode=87F10D55-5F44-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
    Along with the necessary drum mics, and I was wondering if there was a way to use all this to record in GarageBand?

He's pretty stubborn, so all I know is that it didnt work the first time because according to him "it doesnt record in stereo well"

Any solutions?

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm far from being an expert, but I'm guessing the stereo "problem" has to do with drums bleeding over from one mic to the next. That's certainly not a GarageBand issue.

Micing drums is very tricky. You have to do a lot of testing and experimenting with different placement options. You can also crank up the "gate" to get rid of bleed, but it tends to choke a nice, resonant drum sound. It's all about give and take, and finding a balance. It's going to be very difficult, for example, to have consecutive toms alternating between channels.

3. dearambellina26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well we've recorded a lot before, and that has never really been an issue, so I think its my obliviousness to GarageBand's input options and stuff.

Basically everything was coming in mono, and we had it on Stereo 1/2

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Can you provide a more detailed description of what you're trying to do? Each mic assigned to a different track? If so, you can adjust them later in GarageBand.

5. dtklamf macrumors regular

could be that behringer make plastic toys not musical equipment?

6. deftdrummer macrumors regular

I just recently purchased two Behringer B-5 microphones for stereo recording the drums. I have an M-audio interface which I am using with my iMac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Garage band from what I've been able to tel will show your inputs as mono with no dual option for stereo on the mics themselves.

This is my first forray into recording anything, much less drums but I believe simple recording and sound properties are in place here.

I believe that its only showing up in mono because you have two mics which naturally changes the acoustic properties to a stereo image. It makes sense that we have the option to change a mic's input settings to Stereo on ONE mic because it is only one mic.

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Have you thought about plugging the mics into separate mono channels, then panning them hard left/hard right on the Behringer as appropriate?

GarageBand will indeed record into stereo well, provided that the input signal is properly set in the stereo field. Mic placement and pan settings are key here. Two mics may not be enough to capture the stereo signal on drums with enough stereo "width"; you may need to mic individual drums as well.