Recording music IMAC

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by OldxBoy, Jul 10, 2008.

1. OldxBoy macrumors newbie

Okay, so I am a simple music artist who wants to record music onto my Imac. I am currently using Garage Band and would like to upgrade to a more advance music recording program.

Also, I am using a USB microphone and the sound quality is quite poor, and looked up some information on recording music using better microphones. Does anyone have recommendations on higher quality mics and how about to connect them to my mac? I also read that I may need an AMP connector for the mic. I plan on spending $500-800 on the equipment so any suggestions in that price range would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

what instruments are you going to be recording?
    you should be able to get a nice condenser mic and quality 2 channel I/O in your price range....

3. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Hmm. Let me have a go. Prices are a bit rough.
    In no particular order:

Option a: Using Pro Tools LE (or any other software in the future)

Interface, mic, controller, plugins, monitors package:

Mbox2 Factory Home Studio Bundle $680 Link

Option b: Using Logic Express

Mic:
    AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 $100

Monitors:
    Yamaha MSP3 (pair) $300

Interface:
    PreSonus FireBox $300

Software:
    Logic Express $200

Total: $900

Option c: Using Logic Studio

Interface, Mic, Mic stand, Headphones, cables:
    PreSonus FireBox Studio Package $570

Logic Studio $500

Total $1070

They're just a few of many possibilities that are of reasonably good quality. I'd stay clear of the maudio stuff but it's up to you.
    All depends on what you really need, really. With no details, it's hard to really make proper suggestions.

4. OldxBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks, I managed to get a hold of logic studio and 2 shure sm57 mics with a behringer 802 model. Thanks for the suggestions and advice but i looked at some of the stickies and other threads and figure this would be a good start for me. I am currently just playing guitar and singing.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Can't go wrong with a Shure SM. The 57 and 58 in particular are renown. They'll out last you too, absolutely bullet proof.

You may always find that if you used both the 57s for recording the guitar, and an SM58 on vocals, you'll get a better sound. The SM57 shows a more 'neutral' response, capturing things more naturally. However, the SM58 is tailored for vocals in particular, and IMO sounds better with vocals (most would agree). You'll do well getting yourself a pop shield too.

[​IMG]

Goes in front of the mic and stops you from blasting the mic with 'p's and 'b's. The SM57 needs this more than most common dynamic mics as it has no kind of internal pop-shield.