Recording Music (video and audio)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Clayne, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Clayne macrumors 6502

I'm a casual guitar player, if even. I want to record video+audio of myself playing the acoustic guitar, for youtube and other things.

I tried doing it with the built-in mic and it was intolerable. I want something that'll make it sound good, or at least accurate.

I don't plan on editing it. I want to record audio and video a the SAME time, and go from there to uploading it online.

Anyways, my questions are:

What's a good microphone for casual acoustic + vocal recordings?

and

Is there any programs besides garageband, imovie, and photobooth that I should know about, for my purposes?

Thank you ahead of time,
    Clayne

2. calebmedia macrumors member

Snowball mic

For a mic check out this mic. $85 but is perfect for what you want. I too was not satisfied with the internal mic when I recorded with my guitar. but this gem rocks. Professional studio quality performance record both vocals and instruments

As for software garage band is good. If you have a camcorder you can plug it in via firewire and iMovie with see it. Just record through there and set you audio in through your snow ball mic.

Cheers,

3. Clayne thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I have the new MB (no firewire!) but that's okay cause I don't have a camcorder either.

I want to record video with my isight at the same time - are you able to see if it works with photobooth?

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

You should be able to record with quicktime, a much better solution than photoboot. Just open QT, and select File:New Movie Recording.

In the QT preferences you can select which device records video (isight) and which records audio (your new microphone). Here you can also select the quality of recording (medium:mp4, good:h.264, better:h.264, best: original raw input).

Now, I have QT pro, and therefore I can not assure you the free QT is able to do this.

Hope this helps.

5. Clayne thread starter macrumors 6502

cdcastillo,

Thanks for the response. It's only QTPro that has that function. I just decided to download it, so that I'm not dependent on photobooth and imovie.

Thanks again,
    Clayne